THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Awesome MissLady! Welcome to the ECO Octagon Club!

Quote:
Congrats!

Just a tip...I use pieces of felt instead of paper towels, and the felt holds the moisture WAY longer than the paper towels. Thanks to my brilliant husband, I also use a pipette during lockdown to reach down through the tray and add extra water as needed.
smile.png

Note to self, invest in felt and pipettes.

Quote:
Congrats!

Just a tip...I use pieces of felt instead of paper towels, and the felt holds the moisture WAY longer than the paper towels. Thanks to my brilliant husband, I also use a pipette during lockdown to reach down through the tray and add extra water as needed.
smile.png

Yes, give it a shot! Felt is only $0.25 per piece, and I ordered pipettes from Amazon for around $6-7.

Quote:
Congrats!

smile.png

Thank you!
smile.png

It hasn't even arrived yet, and already I have been able to learn so much about it from this thread. Good things to know BEFORE I put my eggs in.
big_smile.png

Quote:
It's a good question. We followed the guidelines. Temperatures in the room stay around 70 degrees, right within the 'ideal' range of 68-77 degrees in the manual. Heck, I even bought a second thermometer just to monitor the room. Still fluctuates.. I'm choosing not to spend any more energy worrying about it, though. I've done all that I can to try to ensure consistent temps, and nothing has worked. They're still developing though, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and stop staring at the gauges.

Quote:
It's a good question. We followed the guidelines. Temperatures in the room stay around 70 degrees, right within the 'ideal' range of 68-77 degrees in the manual. Heck, I even bought a second thermometer just to monitor the room. Still fluctuates.. I'm choosing not to spend any more energy worrying about it, though. I've done all that I can to try to ensure consistent temps, and nothing has worked. They're still developing though, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and stop staring at the gauges.

i think that's a sensible plan. you may find success here, even if it is not 'picture perfect', and your results will help us all.

BTW, I hope some/all of you have checked out those links i put above. i found them very very helpful.............but that was just me.............

Last edited:
oh yes, and Impress: Congrats. great to hear of your success.

BTW, as you know i now have three octa. 20 ecos PLUS a hovabator 1588 which i will always use as a hatcher. stagger stagger very good and keeps those brinseas nice and clean too!

keep us posted on your hatch, please

Quote:
Checked the eggs last night, and we've got 10/16 eggs developing!
celebrate.gif
You're right, it may not be picture perfect, but it's obviously still doing its job. We'll see in about 10 days.
big_smile.png

Please tell me that Brinsea makes a time machine.. Can't I just skip to the 21st??
fl.gif

Quote:
Checked the eggs last night, and we've got 10/16 eggs developing!
celebrate.gif
You're right, it may not be picture perfect, but it's obviously still doing its job. We'll see in about 10 days.
big_smile.png

Please tell me that Brinsea makes a time machine.. Can't I just skip to the 21st??
fl.gif

funny, you've got the bug!

eta: glad to hear of your results, so far.

not to be too complex, but.........but............if things went weird, you could always call brinsea..............maybe you got a flukey bator. But i rather doubt it...........but who knows. And like you say, your house humidity is already 'unique'.............

there is what 'the book' says, then there is 'reality', eh!?

Last edited:
Quote:
Congrats!

smile.png

very neat idea. i MUST get some felt. thank you.

You can really get by w/o pipettes. Well wait, SOME PEOPLE, I should say, get by without pipettes. They just open the bator, take out the tray w/eggs, add water, and put 'er back together. Remember, mama hen gets off the eggs at least once per day--and for a longer time than it would take us to add a bit of water.......................

See those links i posted for good and helpful data from users!

Back
Top Bottom