THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I didn't realize all the fluff that they shed in the incubator. Does everyone take the cover off the fan and clean under there every hatch?

Quote:
When I got mine, I found that neither of them were reading at 99.5 so I had to adjust. I also find that the Spot Check and the glass thermometer read differently, so I go with the Spot Check since it's supposed to be reliable. Before I got the Spot Check, my chicks weren't hatching on time because the glass thermometer was reading higher than the actual temperature.

Quote:
I take the plastic section off that covers the fan and other electrical components and disinfect it in bleach water with the tray and the base. I use Lysol or Clorox wipes to disinfect the top section with the fan. Then I let everything get some sunshine for a day.

Quote:
oh my word,isn't that wonderful!!!!

what did it look like your glass therm. was reading?

It has been awhile so I can't remember for sure but I want to say it was around 102. I know it was higher than it should have been.

Quote:
What kind of babies are these? They are sooo cute!

Thanks! Most of them are Easter Eggers but oddly enough some of them are refrigerated eating eggs I bought from a local chicken keeper when I bought the EE hatching eggs from her. I cracked one to eat and saw it was fertile and they were blue green and brown eggs too, so I decided to try incubating some of them and had a 100% hatch rate out of the 6 refrigerated ones! Two of them seem to be EEs but 3 look just like RIR babies and 1 looks like a California White? I can't quite figure out what kind of rooster it is that all the babies look like their mommas (I am assuming)

Last edited:
I have decided I "need" a second ECO so I can hatch more! I think Brinsea should give second time buyers a discount!!!
wink.png

Quote:
I did have to adjust mine. I pulled it out of the box, plugged it in for a couple of hours, and the glass thermometer read at about 96.5F.

I am suspicious of a cooler spot on the back row of my Brinsea eco 20-those chicks are hatching a day and half later than the others-actually one silkie hatched this morning 2 days later than the others in the front 2/3rds of the bator. Is it possible the last 2 could still hatch? The actual due date was yesterday.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom