THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Quote:
amen. i also think those who register complaints about their humidity going into lockdown really do not have a valid complaint against this bator in fact. it is really a matter of a personal desire for convenience and also their management technique.

if one pays attention to RH during dd. 1 - 18, and is not bothered by having to add sponges/cloths etc. this breed of bator should be a beauty for hatching also. i have no problem with it being 'cosy' for 20 chicks or whatever. they can rest up and dry off just fine and be off to the brooder. they are not meant to LIVE in it!

Quote:
amen. i also think those who register complaints about their humidity going into lockdown really do not have a valid complaint against this bator in fact. it is really a matter of a personal desire for convenience and also their management technique.

if one pays attention to RH during dd. 1 - 18, and is not bothered by having to add sponges/cloths etc. this breed of bator should be a beauty for hatching also. i have no problem with it being 'cosy' for 20 chicks or whatever. they can rest up and dry off just fine and be off to the brooder. they are not meant to LIVE in it!

I agree! I purchase cheap sponges that I cut in half to put in there at lockdown, then toss them. I have never had a problem with shrink wrapping or keeping the humidity up. After reading all the comments about other bators I am glad I purchased the Brinsea first!

Quote:

I agree! I purchase cheap sponges that I cut in half to put in there at lockdown, then toss them. I have never had a problem with shrink wrapping or keeping the humidity up. After reading all the comments about other bators I am glad I purchased the Brinsea first!

i think i am glad you did, also!

I think the design could be better.....maybe.

maybe you had them too tightly spaced.

with a little ingenuity all this can be improved by the manager of the bator.

But there is nothing easier than cleaning (and knowing its clean!) this egg holding 'system' vs. the annoying job of cleaning the all plastic hovabator turner 'system'. At least for me, I hope never to have to clean them again. that's why i only used it as a hatcher and will only use it thus till it dies.

cleaning and disinfecting the octa. 20 egg holders takes minutes, no moving parts. the hova bator is full of moving parts...............anyway...........all this is just me and how i do it................

So I got this brinsea as my very 1st bator. I'm planning on setting my very first hatch on dec 11 so theorhetically I will have my very first hatch on new years
smile.png
so I just have a few questions and they will probably sound dumb but be patient w me.

So I was advised to put egg cups in instead of using the bars that came with it. What does everyone think of that method? Would it effect the turning? If I just use the bars I would set the eggs upright correct? I feel like sideways would be safer with the turning but would effect the air cells?
And for turning, I've heard three times a day. I just rock the whole unit to the next side right? So left-center-right-center-left? Or am I thinking too much into that?
If I rotate the whole unit won't the water fall out of the channel?
How do I tell the humidity? And what is it supposed to be at?

Sorry for the bombardment and I feel silly but need to know all the details before I put eggs in. I read this whole thread but was still a bit unclear :-/ probably a brain malfunction over here. Any other tips would be great as well! Thanks

I have my first hatching attempt in my Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX as we speak so I am not much help. Mine has the automatic water pump that controls the humidity for you and has digital readings on the top. So it is supposed to keep temp and humidity exactly as you preset them to be. I think the upgrade would totally be worth it just not having to mess with the humidity. I have a Genesis 1588 Hovabator also and I have to mess with it quite a bit to keep the humidity right. (I actually have them both full of eggs at the same time for my first attempts at hatching.) I am a little nervous about the wire bars but feel like as much as it turns, the eggs wouldn't be safe if they weren't held in there pretty firmly. I don't think I would try the muffin cups, especially not if you have an automatic turner. I am curious to see what answers you get on the question about the eggs being a little toward their sides. Mine don't sit up directly at a 90 degree angle and I hope that is okay. Anyway, I am on day 11 and so far am doing okay. The only bad thing was I had 28 Silkie eggs shipped and when I candled them on day 10, 23 were either clear or very obviously had a blood ring. So much for that shipping. And they were wrapped good! Anyway I do love my Brinsea and when I get rich will only have them and nothing else! LOL Good luck with your hatching! It really is addicting!
big_smile.png

thanks for replies.

But we are trying to keep this for the Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco only, lest we confused types become more confused.

But as I've said before, I think EACH 'breed' of bator should have its own thread. I think this would be so helpful to so many.

Back
Top Bottom