THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Quote:
The glass thermo included in my ECO 20 is mounted up by the fan, yes, all eco 20 therms should be mounted at the same height. it reads hotter than thermos lower. this was my experience, as one could read above. Now in a still air bator, i could understand such a temp. stratification. But in a FORCED AIR? I am surprised there is such stratification--in addition to horizontal differences. The glass reads around 103, however my eggs seem to be doing fine so I haven't fiddled with the temp control. Interesting data. According to my spot check, to have 99.5 at 'mid-egg height', i would have had to adjust the temp. in all of my units so that the glass therm would be 102 or over. So maybe you are right near 99.5 at egg height. This is my first hatch full hatch in this bator. Should have chicks Sunday!

As far as my lack of skills with the wire dividers... I'm just special.
big_smile.png
Eggs are different sizes, sometimes they fit too tight or loose... I don't know.

Remains odd to me how i could have had such a textbook hatch, if according to Mr. Spotcheck, my temps were only 98.3 and 99.2 at mid egg height
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd like some new friends!
big_smile.png
Can you send or post a picture?

Next time I pack it full, I'll take lots of pictures to show you how I do it. Look for pictures on December 11th, that is the next time I plan on hatching, for the New Years Day hatch.

But really, it isn't that difficult, if you have an egg that is too big, move the brackets over one and then use folded cardboard, pieces of felt, paper, anything you can shape and use them to fill in the gaps grooves and holes you may have with the smaller eggs. I had to make cardboard "book ends" my last hatch as 3 eggs were old eggs a scammer gave me, and once removed I had an open ended row. So I just made cardboard shapes and put them on either side of the egg rows to hold the eggs in place. They worked like a charm, I had a 100% hatch with my good eggs!

Quote:
I'd like some new friends!
big_smile.png
Can you send or post a picture?

Next time I pack it full, I'll take lots of pictures to show you how I do it. Look for pictures on December 11th, that is the next time I plan on hatching, for the New Years Day hatch.

But really, it isn't that difficult, if you have an egg that is too big, move the brackets over one and then use folded cardboard, pieces of felt, paper, anything you can shape and use them to fill in the gaps grooves and holes you may have with the smaller eggs. I had to make cardboard "book ends" my last hatch as 3 eggs were old eggs a scammer gave me, and once removed I had an open ended row. So I just made cardboard shapes and put them on either side of the egg rows to hold the eggs in place. They worked like a charm, I had a 100% hatch with my good eggs!

Got it! Okay. Pics would be cool. After this weekend I'm taking a break till March. Thanks for your help.

good to hear you got one coming!

I may break down and set some more in a few days. But I don't know if I'll just be wasting money, so I might not. In MA few are looking to buy extra chicks this time of year!

Quote:
Uh oh. There is a New Year's Day hatch? Is it timed so that the chicks hatch on New Years day? I might have to get in on that... I was planning on putting the bator away...
tongue.png

377127_10150395575974003_512774002_8597539_1839849889_n.jpg

This is not the most exciting picture but... the egg on the left, see that dark spot on top? That would be the first pip in my first hatch in my Brinsea Eco 20! Happened a couple hours ago. Now I can see 3 pips in there out of 6 eggs. 1 egg has a wacky air cell so I'll be impressed if it hatches but it's developed all this time so... I hope to wake up tomorrow to some fluffy chicks!
big_smile.png

388145_10150395966049003_512774002_8599761_549245416_n.jpg

jumpy.gif

First chick! I woke up and looked in my incubator and saw it was close! I watched it hatch! First chick to hatch in my ECO 20! 6/12 made it to lockdown, shipped California Grey eggs off ebay. To date 1 has hatched and 4 of the 5 remaining have pips I can see!
Good job eco20 and little chicks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom