THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I hatch mine right in the incubator, I take the fluffies out every 6-12 hours or so, and spritz with water after to keep that humidity up. That way the later hatchlings get more room. I have mine STUFFED right now, I managed to get enough cool eggs to be able to not use the bars and just set them upright. As long as I have no quitter or stinkers I should be golden, 32 in it right now, 12 Buff Orpington, 8 Egyptian Fayoumi, 3 mystery show bantam, and the rest are mystery surprise pure breed eggs the fellow that saved the EF eggs for me threw in. They should hatch on the second, I was setting for the New Years hatch but was busy all day the 10th and had to drive to get the EF eggs on the 11th.

I'm excited!
ya.gif

Quote:
You sound like me. I pack them tight! I have gotten 4 dozen bantams in there before. I double stack till I do my clear tosses. Rotation is no fun, but its worth it in the end. I have some faymouis, they are odd birds. Very talkative!!

Quote:
You sound like me. I pack them tight! I have gotten 4 dozen bantams in there before. I double stack till I do my clear tosses. Rotation is no fun, but its worth it in the end. I have some faymouis, they are odd birds. Very talkative!!

What are faymouis? Just curious.
Are they the same as Egyptian Fayoumi?

ETA: oops....I didn't realize this was the official Brinsea ECO 20 thread.....OK, I'll shut-up now....sorry to go OT.....
duc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

What are faymouis? Just curious.

They are egyptian faymoui. You can look at pics of them under the breed section. They are very talkative birds. Mine fuss about EVERYTHING! They are as loud as the guineas.

Quote:
The vents SHOULD be OPEN during lockdown. They NEED oxygen as much (or more than) humidity.

Especially in an Octogon 20....there is only the one tiny hole on top... ?? ummm..

actually the octagon 20 eco--the subject of this thread--has FIVE air holes: 4 on the bottom sides, which can also be overflow holes, as with hova, plus the main vent hole at the top..........

let's make it six if you count the water hole, also on top...

air moves through all of these

Well, here is the data (yawn) from my most recent run with the bators

I do hope that it may be of some use to others in TV land!

I don't know how to import a table into the forum and i don't have excel anyway, so i have to sort of make a table..................

Eggs set into two bators the evening of 21 November. Hatch date would be =/- 12 December.

44 eggs set.

Each unit had 22 eggs.

ALL AMBIENT DATA IS FROM ACCURITE INSTRUMENTS

ALL INCUBATOR TEMPS. ARE FROM THE GLASS THERMOMETER INCLUDED WITH UNIT.

ALL INCUBATOR RH READINGS ARE FROM ACCURITE INSTRUMENTS.

DATA, DAYS ONE TO SEVEN:

Avg. Ambient Temp.: 71.9
Avg. Ambient RH: 32.8

Avg. Temp. Unit I: 99.4
Avg. RH Unit I: 42.7

Avg. Temp. Unit II: 101
Avg. RH Unit II: 41.9

Candling day seven eliminated two clear eggs and one blood ring.
Now down to 41 eggs:
Unit I with 20; Unit II with 21.

DATA, DAYS EIGHT TO FOURTEEN:

Avg. Ambient Temp.: 72.2
Avg. Ambient RH: 34.5

Avg. Temp. Unit I: 99.5
Avg. RH, Unit I: 41.5

Avg. Temp. Unit II: 100.4
Avg. RH Unit II: 38.8

Candling day 14: one more odd looking clear removed.
Now down to 40 eggs:
Unit I with 19; Unit II with 21.

DATA, DAYS FIFTEEN TO SEVENTEEN:

Avg. Ambient Temp.: 72.4
Avg. Ambient RH: 41.4

Avg. Temp. Unit I: 100.1
Avg. RH, Unit I: 44.5

Avg. Temp. Unit II: 100.4
Avg. RH, Unit II: 37.1

Candling day 17 made it clear to me that at least some of the eggs would not hatch, some air cells quite small, embryo odd shaped, egg not lost enough weight, etc.
Nevertheless, forty into lockdown.

DATA, DAYS EIGHTEEN TO TWENTY-ONE:

Hatching Unit is a Hovabator Genesis 1588

Avg. Ambient Temp.: 70.9
Avg. Ambient RH: 28.7

Avg. Hatcher Temp. (by Accurite): 99.3
Avg. Hatcher RH (by same Accurite): 77.6

RESULTS:

As I suspected early on, hatching began a bit early.
First egg hatched at noon, day 20

hatch complete by same time day 21.

36 eggs out of 40 hatched: 18 out of each unit. Three of the eggs I had doubts about did not, in fact, hatch. The fourth, well...............c'est la vie.

90% hatch. Very pleased.

Last edited:
EGG WEIGHT/MOISTURE LOSS DATA

Since the avg. weight of the eggs in each unit differed by only .5g, the data listed here from Unit I suffices for the eggs in both incubators.

The data here is governed by the ideal of 13% weight loss by day 21 (not 13% wt. loss by day 18, as some say, apparently erroneously)

At start date:

Avg egg wt.: 57.4g

Avg. wt. day 7:

Unit I: 53.95g
Unit II: 53.8g

Ideal wt: 55.2

Avg. wt. day 14:

Unit I: 51.6
Unit II: 51.4

Ideal wt.: 52.6

Avg. wt. day 17 (my last before lockdown the next morning):

Unit I: 50.05
Unit II: 50.04

Ideal wt.: 51.5

So you can see, there is what "the book" calls for, and what "the field" sometimes gives us. These eggs had lost too much weight/moisture (I was heading for 15 + percent total wt. loss), and yet had a very good hatch at 90% !

i would say her pic is.

very nice to see you on this thread. i really hope this thread doesn't just disappear.

i want to keep it going, as a sort of ongoing 'work in progress' for all of us.
i wish people would put their hatches on here, also. But i'm not the boss!

again, nice to see you on the thread!

Back
Top Bottom