THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I have 37 eggs in my Brinsea Eco 20.
hide.gif

Quote:
hey wait a minute. the 'book' says you can't do that!!!

keep on board and let us know how it goes!!

I stack in mine everytime I use it. I have never had a problem. The ones on top develop just fine. It is a hassle rotating, so I put them in cartons and am VERY careful. I also use papertowels as cushions against the sides when I rotate.

jmc, I usually get about a 16% loss of weight in my eggs, and have consistantly good hatches. Not saying I aim for 16%...
and the weight loss to day 18 is because, after day 18 the incubator is flooded with moisture and the eggs should not be losing weight any more. When I was graphing my egg weight chart, I had to think it out. There is a bit of a difference in charting the weight loss to day 18 vs. day 21.

Glad you had a good hatch!
ya.gif

Quote:

I stack in mine everytime I use it. I have never had a problem. The ones on top develop just fine. It is a hassle rotating, so I put them in cartons and am VERY careful. I also use papertowels as cushions against the sides when I rotate.

Now, you DO realize i was just being lighthearted!!? in what i said about the 'book'
wink.png

Quote:

Now, you DO realize i was just being lighthearted!!? in what i said about the 'book'
wink.png

I am aware you were joking
wink.png

Quote:

Yup, I knews you was joking. I'm still laughing!

I kind of got to thinking that with so many eggs in there, seems to be blocking the water troughs under the egg tray.

And candling is a chore. I took the Brinsea out of the autoturner first. I replaced each egg, one at a time, with a wadded up paper towell, to hold spot open, candled that egg and replaced it before taking another one out. Last night I only candled a few, as a spot check. Looks like I may have a disspointing hatch. But last night was only day five so I'm not taking any out yet. They are a mix of LF Marans, LF BLRWs, Banatam Ameraucanas, Showgirls, and a few bantam game fowls (can't remember what kind though). Only four eggs are stacked. All are shipped eggs.

I tried to hatch over thirty eggs in the Brinsea this summer and I didn't have the best hatch either. I think some of them didn't get to the right temperature because of the stacking. It took an extra day or so for them to hatch.

I have 11 eggs in my Eco right now for the NYD hatch. It does seem like I am adding water to the bottom ever 2-3 days. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom