THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Been a while, but just some quick info.

we all know that all of our hatching situations,etc. are different, so bear this in mind in what i say here:

I have three O20E units, as you know if you have read the whole thread (and have a memory). I have been a bit displeased with how this bator is affected by the ambient temperature. It really is in no way a 'rock solid' temperature holder. I have even seen over two degree temp changes with no change in ambient temperature and RH at all.

NOTE: I AM NOT TALKING OF MASSIVE AND DEADLY SPIKES OR DROPS IN TEMP. But at various times i do need to adjust temperature up and down in mid course to keep things where they need to be.
I personally wish this was not the case. but it is the case, in my experience.

I have also found that the fuller the bator is with eggs, the lower is the hatch rate. This may have something to do with air circulation; but I am not so sure about that...
The only 100 % hatches i have had have been with the bators containing only 5 to ten eggs. WHEREAS bators with 20-24 have given hatch rates as low as 79.5 %.
Again, there could be many factors involved here. But I just wanted to put this up so at least someone could see it and store it in his/her mind. Maybe it could help someone.
I USED to be a big fan of the Brinseas.. but after having so many problems with defective products I rank their reliability well below the LG that I only use during the winter

i am still using two of mine.. though I have sent several to the dump.. and these last two will be sold or thrown away in less than a month from now

Yinepu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU????????????????????

I can;'t believe YOU are saying this about brinseas. I thought you were really into yours. We spoke alot about them late this past summer, as I bet you remember. I even sent you pms about your stuff.

all i can say is WOW.

eta: I must also add that the 'spot check' thermometer i bought from them is basically useless.

Last edited:
Yinepu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU????????????????????

I can;'t believe YOU are saying this about brinseas. I thought you were really into yours. We spoke alot about them late this past summer, as I bet you remember. I even sent you pms about your stuff.

all i can say is WOW.

eta: I must also add that the 'spot check' thermometer i bought from them is basically useless.

yup... me.. and you know I have bought a ton of their products over the past year

i have gotten products with frayed wires.. turners that break down.. candlers with bad wiring... and the list goes on... customer service was basically useless
my husband got tired of fixing everything that was breaking down or that arrived defective..
i have no idea how most of it got past quality control at their factories....

The only issue so far I have with my OE20 is the temp control reostat, in the
instructions they make it sound like you set it, and screw the door on, and don't touch it
again. I'm not finding that, maybe it's my anbient room temps?
Right now my temps look good, so I'm not touching it hopefully for another 3 weeks.

instructions they make it sound like you set it, and screw the door on, and don't touch it
Right now my temps look good, so I'm not touching it hopefully for another 3 weeks.

I ended up leaving the little door off of mine.. just easier to adjust them with it off instead of having to deal with removing it each time I needed to adjust
during the summer my temps shot through the roof.. had to set a fan up so it would blow across the bator to keep it cool...
one was really bad about keeping proper temp.. it was still under warranty but Brinsea wouldn't return my emails.. so it is living at the dump now

I ended up leaving the little door off of mine.. just easier to adjust them with it off instead of having to deal with removing it each time I needed to adjust
during the summer my temps shot through the roof.. had to set a fan up so it would blow across the bator to keep it cool...
one was really bad about keeping proper temp.. it was still under warranty but Brinsea wouldn't return my emails.. so it is living at the dump now

i wouldn't be surprised if you have to touch the temp control in the next three weeks!

Yinnie: I remember you saying how you loved your ovascope.............apparently that didn't work out either...........? shame. not cheap

and yes, i have heard horrible things about brinsea's cust. service. the only woman i dealt with was a cold fish..

Yinnie.... also: I wonder if an air conditioner running would have kept your temps from shooting hi. you know, if your house temp had been real stable. but then again, i know you are in TX and how long can you leave an AC running and not pay through the nose?
I may need to put an AC in my bator room to run it occasionally in case ambient gets too high. BUT I AIN'T IN TX. So I would never need to run it for long stretches.

Do you have any thoughts here?

i wouldn't be surprised if you have to touch the temp control in the next three weeks!

Yinnie: I remember you saying how you loved your ovascope.............apparently that didn't work out either...........? shame. not cheap

and yes, i have heard horrible things about brinsea's cust. service. the only woman i dealt with was a cold fish..

Yinnie.... also: I wonder if an air conditioner running would have kept your temps from shooting hi. you know, if your house temp had been real stable. but then again, i know you are in TX and how long can you leave an AC running and not pay through the nose?
I may need to put an AC in my bator room to run it occasionally in case ambient gets too high. BUT I AIN'T IN TX. So I would never need to run it for long stretches.

Do you have any thoughts here?

the ovascope had an exposed wire inside.. I called customer service and they said the reason I was having trouble with it was because I didn't buy their batteries! (they said that without ever examining it.. since I still had it in my possession)
when my husband opened it there was a wire connection in it that had the insulation stripped back much longer than is allowed by the UL people (he knows more about this stuff than I do).. anyway it was making contact with other metal parts in the candler and shorting out,

running the AC here does cost an arm and a leg... so we opt for fans and just live with the heat... however the incubator in question SHOULD have shut off the heating when the temps got too high.. this one wasn't doing that.. it was STILL heating (which is why that particular one is living at the dump).. the others did shut off which is how I know for certain that it was defective.. I removed eggs from it and waited.. and waited.. when it hit 140 and was still heating and not shutting off I tossed it

keeping a stable room temp is always a plus for incubation... I will be the first to admit that.. if you have a spare AC you can run in the bator room then I would go for it.. it's better to let it run when needed instead of cooking eggs.. I can live with monitoring incubators.. and adding fans if needed.. however when an incubator turns into a toaster oven.. lol.. well. that's just unacceptable in my book

the ovascope had an exposed wire inside.. I called customer service and they said the reason I was having trouble with it was because I didn't buy their batteries! (they said that without ever examining it.. since I still had it in my possession)
when my husband opened it there was a wire connection in it that had the insulation stripped back much longer than is allowed by the UL people (he knows more about this stuff than I do).. anyway it was making contact with other metal parts in the candler and shorting out,

running the AC here does cost an arm and a leg... so we opt for fans and just live with the heat... however the incubator in question SHOULD have shut off the heating when the temps got too high.. this one wasn't doing that.. it was STILL heating (which is why that particular one is living at the dump).. the others did shut off which is how I know for certain that it was defective.. I removed eggs from it and waited.. and waited.. when it hit 140 and was still heating and not shutting off I tossed it

keeping a stable room temp is always a plus for incubation... I will be the first to admit that.. if you have a spare AC you can run in the bator room then I would go for it.. it's better to let it run when needed instead of cooking eggs.. I can live with monitoring incubators.. and adding fans if needed.. however when an incubator turns into a toaster oven.. lol.. well. that's just unacceptable in my book
Gee, Yinnnie! Only 140!!?? If you had only had the patience, you could have at least let it go to 180: then you would have had nice pasteurized eggs!!!

No pun intended, honest, but it is a shame you really got 'burned' on that unit. I really hope your other one(s) keep okay for you. I think--like you i bet--that all in all, for the price i am pleased so far with the way they are going. And i too rather like monitoring (and hand turning) the bators: it keeps me firmly part of the process--plus it feeds my data keeping obsession!! I've got all kinds of humidity, temp. and egg weight data now!

thanks for taking the time to post again. Nice to 'see' you again.

Gee, Yinnnie! Only 140!!?? If you had only had the patience, you could have at least let it go to 180: then you would have had nice pasteurized eggs!!!

No pun intended, honest, but it is a shame you really got 'burned' on that unit. I really hope your other one(s) keep okay for you. I think--like you i bet--that all in all, for the price i am pleased so far with the way they are going. And i too rather like monitoring (and hand turning) the bators: it keeps me firmly part of the process--plus it feeds my data keeping obsession!! I've got all kinds of humidity, temp. and egg weight data now!

thanks for taking the time to post again. Nice to 'see' you again.

lol.. my husband told me "when it hits 200 SELL!!!"
gig.gif

I love the record keeping part too.. figuring out the math for % of weight loss in waterfowl and emu eggs... and all the rest... hmmm... i think i need a hobby!

Back
Top Bottom