1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

The Broom of Doom ~ a Chicken Story

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicabee19, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    The Broom of Doom

Brenna was a very good human. She provided her many fluffy girls with a lovely coop, a sheltered run with lots of fun things to do--a big dust bath to roll around in, a nice tree to roost in, and hidey holes in case of danger.

[​IMG](photo courtesy of Debiraymond)

Her beloved chickens knew they lived in the most beautiful little coop in the whole wide world! Their human was also a strict flock mistress, and kept a pretty broom propped up just outside the run.

[​IMG]

She used the broom to stir the litter on the floor of the coop, to sweep dust off the windows and cobwebs off the ledges, and to swipe a hen out of the nest if she got too comfy for her own good: "A hen's job is laying eggs, not lying about", she would always say. If a hen got too big for her britches, why, that broom could put her in her place very quickly and efficiently!

All the hens and pullets and chicks loved their human; she fed them treats out of her hand every single afternoon while sitting on the pretty red swing.

[​IMG](photo courtesy of Redhen)

She always made sure they had good nutritional feed and fresh spring water to drink, so they all had very fluffy butts! [​IMG](photo courtesy of ?)

She let them roam about the yard on the weekends when she was home and could watch for Mr. Hawk.

[​IMG](photo courtesy of Foxhound Lady)

She checked them over for bugs and kept them all free of disease. They loved her so much that they tried to out-do each other by laying the biggest eggs.

[​IMG](photo courtesy of Miss Prissy)

Brenna did not know that her babies were deathly afraid of her broom; all she knew was that it did a pretty good job of keeping them in line. The flock called the scary device "The Broom of Doom", or "the evil BD", and they often spent late nights plotting together on ways to get rid of it.

"Let's hide it so our human can't find it ever again!" said Pity, the tiniest white chicken. "That won't work, it's far too big! where could we possibly hide it?" said her sister Pat. "Let's chew it until it's all gone!" said Penny (a golden-necked D'Uccle who thought she was very smart). "That's very silly ... we don't have any teeth" said Mama, the head hen. No matter how long they thought about it, or how many times they discussed it, they could never come up with a way to get rid of the evil BD.

One day Brenna left the evil BD in the run. Snack, 2nd hen from the top, decided to bury it and spent the whole day scratching and mounding, scratching and mounding, but all she accomplished was a broom-shaped bump in the middle of the run. Another time the nine middle-sized chicks decided to peck the evil BD until it was all gone, but all they accomplished was some very sore beaks. After that, they all had to recooperate for a whole day.

[​IMG](photo courtesy of Schmije)

Little did they all know that the Broom of Doom would one day be their best friend.

In late June a big storm began to brew. [​IMG](photo courtesy of Gritsar)

The oppressive clouds seemed to loom just over their little heads, roiling with purple, black and greenish tints. Gusts of wind whipped their little combs from side to side, and quick sprays of tiny hail hit them on their heads as they all scrambled for the shelter of the coop.

[​IMG](photo courtesy of K7Menagerie) The smallest chicken (named Chicken Little, of course) just had to run around screeching "the sky is falling!, the sky is falling!

Brenna had been busy cleaning the coop when the wind began to pick up. She closed the windows and shut up her little flock to keep them safe, leaving the evil BD inside with them. The wind rattled the walls and windows, and the evil BD fell against the door, which was shuddering with every gust.

Brenna returned very soon, having changed her mind about leaving her babies out in the coop; she wanted to bring them with her to the cellar, but as hard as she tried, she could not get the door open! The Broom of Doom had fallen against the door in such a way as to trap the biddies inside!

They cowered on their roosts, as far away from the evil BD as they could get, calling out to their human to come and save them. But she did not come.

Staring intently at the evil BD rattling against the wooden door as if it were alive, Mama Hen said "Now all of you stay back!, it might jump up and get you!" All of the girls crowded and pushed further and further onto the end of the roost, until they had shoved Mama right off onto the floor! "Bwaak!" she cried, "Watch out, it almost got me!", and she jumped back up to the roost smoothing her feathers with an injured sniff or two.

"I'm not afraid of the evil BD" said Teeny the Black Giant, "It can't hurt me, watch!", and she bravely jumped down and skipped over to the broom, giving it a whack with her chicken foot as she passed by. The broom wibbled and wobbled, and fell over right on top of her. "Ow, ow, ow..." she moaned as several of the braver hens hopped down from the roost to help her limp into the far corner. "I told you to beware of the evil BD!" said Mama shaking her wing at all of them; "Now maybe you'll listen to me!"

Suddenly it began to sound like a freight train was coming through the yard! They all cowered together in fear, moaning and groaning about their sure fate. The coop began to sway a bit, and several of the girls fell off of the roost. "This is a terrible storm! I think the sky really is falling!", said Nickel, the prettiest red hen. They all huddled closer together for comfort, moaning loudly and rolling their beady eyes from side to side in fear.

Suddenly, the top of the coop began to move up and down. They could see branches and debris flying by each time the roof lifted and then fell back into place. "Help! Help!" they all began to cry out together, but they did not know their human was down in her cellar and could not hear them at all over the roar.

The roof lifted higher and higher each time the train roared until, all at once, the roof was torn off and thrown into the pasture nearby! The wind reached right down into the coop and tried to tear the biddies off their roosts, but they each held on tight. "Oh what shall we do ... the wind is going to destroy our house and kill us all!"

Mama Hen, knowing it was her job to take care of her flock, noticed that the Broom of Doom was dancing in the middle of the room. She watched it go up, and then go down, and all the while it remained stable. "I have an idea!" she cried, "Everyone jump on to the evil BD and hang on for dear life!" "But I'm afraid of the awful evil BD!" said Skillet, the black banty hen. "You have no choice! Now GO!" said Mama; and they all jumped from the roost right onto the Broom of Doom and held on for dear life with their strong chicken feet.

As they clung to the evil BD, it soared up and down inside, then outside the coop; they went higher and higher each time. As they watched with open beaks, the coop finally collapsed, one wall at a time, until the pieces were lying flat on the ground. The Broom of Doom took them then--spiraling up, up, up--until they were hovering right over the big house and could see the whole farm!

The wind whipped them around and around, and they hung on. The wind blew them up and then down, and still they hung on.

They were all very brave and strong in the face of the storm.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the wind began to die down. The cloudy sky began to clear a little, and a tiny ray of sunshine peaked through from the west. Slowly, ever so slowly, the Broom of Doom sank towards the ground with the flapping flock astride.

As the Broom of Doom settled to the ground in the cow pasture, Mama Hen immediately began to count the babies, and gave orders to her subordinates to begin checking each and every hen to make sure no one was too badly injured. Soon they could see their human running across the field towards them. "Oh, are you all right!?" she cried, "I was so very worried about you all! How in the world did you get all the way out here by yourselves?" The chickens looked at each other, then at the evil BD lying tattered on the ground, and they began to cackle hysterically.

Brenna exclaimed with hands on her hips and shaking her head; "crazy chickens!" And with that she picked up the evil BD, stuck it under her arm, and led the whole flock across the pasture and back to their run.

A few days later, Brenna was forced to hire her neighbor to rebuild the coop, and he worked very hard at it, even though it was dark and rainy and his plans needed constant adjusting.

[​IMG] [​IMG] (2 photos courtesy of GopherBoyFarms)

Next time we'll hear the story of how the Broom of Doom saves the flock from Mr. Hawk.

~ The End ~

(I could not figure out who submitted that one photo w/o a credit)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. Yeah for the evil broom that saved the hens!! [​IMG]

3. Chamelle

Chamelle Songster

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    What an amazing story!

You are a talented writer... such imagery!

Can't wait for installment #2.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

VERY GOOD!!!!!! I love the SKY IS FALLING. We moved the brooder the other day and my fiance was chanting THE SKY IS MOVING!!!!

I love the story!

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Songster

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Oh, how I envy people with such creative writing skills!! What a great story! [​IMG] Can't wait to hear the next one!

6. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Songster

That was pretty entertaining! Thank You.

7. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    What an excellent story! I'm staying tuned for part 2 [​IMG]

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    You my friend, have a talent! What a riveting story. I just know my grandkids would LOVE that one. I was riveted to my seat, till the very end. Thanks for shareing your talent.

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    thanks everyone. [​IMG]

DH says he will print it so I can read it to our grand baby!

I'll have to get to work on chapter 2....

10. Thats awesome, thanks for sharing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: