The Buckeye Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 10, 2013.

1. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

I would have to agree after reading the doc on that thread. Nice link btw. If a buckeye roo has the golden allele and crossed to a Delaware it should make the sex link chicks for the F1 cross :)

2. knittychickadee

knittychickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    There was a gal in the old Buckeye thread that crossed a Buckeye rooster over a Delaware hen I think for sex links. Just a min and I will see if I can find one of her posts.

3. knittychickadee

knittychickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
  4. homeworkin

homeworkin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Utah
    Perfect. Thank you. Just the info I needed. I will also have Speckled Sussex and Salmon Faverolles if all goes well with my current hatch. That would give me two different red sex link combos to play with.

5. slfarms

slfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013

Very nice observation. I have also observed the narrow head equal narrow type in body. :)

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    NICE!

7. HappyBuckeye

HappyBuckeye Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi Guys, I'm really trying to learn as much as I can. I've been scrolling though all of the comments from today. I'm a little surprised you all are talking about crossing the Buckeyes and making sexlinks. I'm new here, so maybe this is not so unusual LOL. I just expected this would be a discussion on breeding for shows and improving the traits. I'm sure everyone does things a little differently, for me I just try to keep all my breeds separate so I don't end up with any crosses, but I guess they all taste fine.
    My Buckeyes are already pretty stout, meaty with nice drumsticks which the kids love. I've been trying to keep that characteristic. Now I'll be looking very closely at the heads, especially if that's a good way to increase the body size.

So with the sexlinks projects, is that just so you can tell the males from the females earlier? Y'all don't kill off the baby male chicks like they do at the hatcheries do ya?

8. Marengoite

Marengoite Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Happy,

I'm a former biology teacher and it's the curious part of me that wants to see what happens with the cross. I agree that Buckeyes are meaty on their own. My F1 cockerels were lean and racy compared to my Buckeye roo, narrower across the back. In profile, they looked pretty big, but they are a soft-feathered variety so they are poofier than Buckeyes. The pullets were killed by my son's dog, so I didn't get a chance to see how well they were as layers. They were just starting to come on when they were killed.

I'm still debating on whether to keep on with the cross I have (since I don't expect the boys to be any bigger) or start all over again with Traditional Barred Rocks instead of hatchery stock. I'm tempted to see what the F2 looks like for both flock replacement and to sell as hybrid layers to some folks at church and in the neighborhood.

1 person likes this.
  9. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    nevermind

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. Blueface

Blueface Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    The Buckeye State
    Thin heads will translate throughout the carcass and the back will more than likely be narrow as well from my experiences. I've also noticed that some buckeyes have a long head. I feel they should be more round with plenty of width rounding back like that of a cornish but not quite identical. Different people see this aspect differently so...to each their own.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by