The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Doesn't seem cost effective to inoculate a smaller flock. If it was over 100 with new birds in often then yes, that'd be the route I go. But our flock is small in comparison to other breeders & we rarely get new birds in. Anyways. Which is the vaccination that can cause bird to test positive (for the disease inoculated against) and causes the disease to spread to non-inoculated birds (at a show, or similar)?

Walt - I am tending to want to go that way .... what is your philosophy behind that ? anecdotes are fine with me - though some may not be as forgiving - so I understand if you don't want to share.

I don't buy vaccines specifically, but I'd heard enough about Turkeys conferring immunity to Mareks that when I was given a half dozen poults, I raised them to a "safe" age and turned them out with the flock. Guess I should add them to my sig file here at BYC. :)
That is interesting to me. I have three sweet grass poults we are running with the chickens and peafowl. I will have to research this further. The one thing I worry about is black head as its transferable to peafowl and I've "heard" chickens are carriers lol! Thxs for the tidbit.

Live vaccines shed, killed do not.
So, if not live virus it will not show/shed on the tests? I had read about a vaccine people were using as well that shed/tested positive when you ran your blood tests for showing. I will have to dig out the magazine

I don't have time to deal with sick chickens, the weak ones died a long time ago. Turkeys on the other hand die pretty quickly here. The average age of a chicken here is 8 to 10 years old.

So, if not live virus it will not show/shed on the tests? I had read about a vaccine people were using as well that shed/tested positive when you ran your blood tests for showing. I will have to dig out the magazine

Are you talking about chickens here?

At any rate, no, killed viruses do not shed. See this link from the U of MI, scroll down to the paragraph headed Types of Vaccines:

https://www.msu.edu/~silvar/vax.htm

I
t says " Killed vaccines, also known as fully attenuated vaccines, until recently have been the safest vaccine option available. They are safer because unlike the modified live vaccines they do not shed virus into the environment nor can they ever revert to virulence. However, in order to maximize their effectiveness, killed vaccines are normally used with adjuvants that can cause their own problems."

Maybe the test showed a reaction to the antigen? Hard to say. Let us know what article and in what magazine.

See this chart on DVMvac.org showing the differences between live and killed vaccines:

http://www.dvmvac.org/killvmodified.asp

HA @ Canieldonrad!

Matella, here at our place we've been breeding for resistance and not using any medicated feed or water. It's not that we don't believe in or use antibiotics, it's just that we don't use them as prophylaxis. We've found that scrupulous husbandry practices for the first 4-8 weeks with clean water, food and environment have guarded our chicks well- we've never lost one to disease. As to Marek's, for the first couple of years, yes, we did loose a few. (And it was always at the point of lay for the pullet or the biggest, bestest cockerl
somad.gif
). About 4 years ago we started having birds actually live through Marek's. They went completely down to the ground. We kept food and water within reach and somehow they survived and.... (waaaaaaiiiiiit for it)...... BRED!
wee.gif
Yay! For the past couple of years we haven't even had a bird go down with symptoms. Now if we could start selecting against the yeast that likes to get at the girl's vents (and yes, I do the probiotics and the ACV etc. etc. etc).

Back
Top Bottom