The Buckeye Thread

Pics
"Per the APA SOP and showmanship guide here is the response so "stubs" Why are having stubs on the legs a DQ?
Because in chickens it’s a demonstration cross breeding of clean legged and feather leg breeds".

Not I problem at all, but I was trying to be sure that people know that this post in bold is not true. Maybe the showmanship section says that, but the SOP does not and stubs are NOT necessarily a sign of crossbreeding. If you look at page 2 of your 2010 SOP the Walt there is me.

I will have the showmanship statement changed. I didn't know that it said that. I sound hard nosed in my posts, but I am actually OK.....lol

Walt
:) its better to find errors and correct them than to train the children incorrectly. Now back to posting pics of
Bucks and helping newcomers learn about them :)

This has all been discussed by the Board before. The ABA did this for about 4years and stopped when they lost money. But if you are a member run it by your Director.

Walt
A digital version for computers, iPads and other electronic reading equipment would be nice as I use my kindle for all books. The apa could work something out with amazon or another vendor for the sale of the electronic versions. Nice suggestion pa farmer24.

Folks, the thing to bear in mind when talking about Buckeyes is that they were created by cross breeding by Mrs. Metcalf herself, who used Cochins as one of the breeds to create them. Cochins have feathered feet.

So for a Buckeye to show up with tiny stubs is certainly unusual, but not beyond the realm of possibilities.

I think the bottom line is, don't breed the bird that shows them. That's all.

No need to delve any deeper than that.

Folks, the thing to bear in mind when talking about Buckeyes is that they were created by cross breeding by Mrs. Metcalf herself, who used Cochins as one of the breeds to create them. Cochins have feathered feet.

So for a Buckeye to show up with tiny stubs is certainly unusual, but not beyond the realm of possibilities.

I think the bottom line is, don't breed the bird that shows them. That's all.

No need to delve any deeper than that.
:) and you brought up what I left unsaid. I agree with the feather footed bird statements and not breeding the bird. A recessive cross was obviously nicked.

Last edited:
Per the APA SOP and showmanship guide here is the response so "stubs" Why are having stubs on the legs a DQ?
Because in chickens it’s a demonstration cross breeding of clean legged and feather leg breeds. if the bucks are only showing it between the toes the crossing wouldn't be a close family mating. But would be considered a defect per the SOP. If you are using them just for eggs or back yard chickens they are still happy fun birds even with stubs.

No one said anything about a stub not being a disqualification, I wrote only that a stub is not evidence of crossbreeding. Actual feathers on the *outside* of the toes, or down the shanks is different, but stubs are tiny pin feathers between the toes, and any clean legged breed can carry the mutation that causes them. As Walt pointed out, Ducks can also get stubs. FWIW, it's also a disqualification for ducks too, though it doesn't mean they are part Silkie.
smile.png

A recessive cross was obviously nicked.

Not necessarily. Just because a stub shows up in a Buckeye does not automatically mean the current breeder did any crossbreeding. The trait for feather-footedness was introduced by Mrs. Metcalf herself when she created the breed.

So no one who sees a stub crop up should panic, as the potential for it to do so is in every single Buckeye that traces back to Nettie's birds (presumably all of them.)

It's not something to be upset with the breeder about (if you purchased chicks, one of whom grows up and shows a stub.) It just happens, albeit very, very infrequently. But it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. FWIW, I have not heard of any instance of stubs showing up in anyone's Buckeyes in the past seven years or so. Feathered shanks, yes, but not stubs.

And if it does happen, just cull the bird. Eat it if it's a male, sell it as a common laying hen if it's a female. But don't breed it.

Mention it to the breeder, but don't blame them for it, and certainly don't spread rumors all over the internet that the breeder from whom the chick was purchased is crossbreeding their birds.

New topic as I didn't see the original question answered. Who vaccinates their hatches and what type of vaccines do you give? I've been trying to decide if we will start.

I don't buy vaccines specifically, but I'd heard enough about Turkeys conferring immunity to Mareks that when I was given a half dozen poults, I raised them to a "safe" age and turned them out with the flock. Guess I should add them to my sig file here at BYC.
smile.png

I'm not a breeder - so no fortune invested in my birds - my eye is toward vitality !

While I do feed medicated chick feed to start them off as I put them outside EARLY .... I don't vaccinate or medicate after that first bag - they finish it and that is it.

My reasoning is to create flock immunity naturally .... but I haven't run into a big issue yet.

I am eager to hear what others think on this topic

New topic as I didn't see the original question answered. Who vaccinates their hatches and what type of vaccines do you give? I've been trying to decide if we will start.

When I bred Dutch Bantams, I always vaccinated for Marek's, as for whatever reason, Dutch just do not develop a good resistance to Marek's, and the losses I had when I didn't vaccinate were not acceptable. Now that I am focusing solely on Buckeye large fowl, I am breeding for resistance, and am having very good success.

The thing about Marek's Disease is, it's everywhere. Literally everywhere. People go to the feed store with their poopy boots, and they track it into the feed store. Or Wal-Mart, or the hardware store. So you're going to run into it sooner or later if you breed poultry. And you have to decide which way you want to go: vaccinate, or breed for resistance. Making that decision is sometimes going to depend on what breed you're working with, as some are more resistant than others.

So it's not a cut and dried situation, and each breeder must make their own decision on whether or not to vaccinate based on their level of tolerance for loss, taking into consideration the breed they are working with and the resistance of that breed.

And fwiw, I do know some folks who show a lot who vaccinate for LT, and some folks who are in areas where it's a problem who vaccinate for fowl pox. I do neither at this time.

Back
Top Bottom