The Buckeye Thread

And this is a great post by Chris McCary, regarding feeding Buckeyes:

"Buckeye Chicks up to about 8 weeks old (or when the last bag runs out give or take), I feed a Game Bird Starter. The one available to me is Purina's Game Bird Chow (Startena- 30%) - unmedicated. After about 8 weeks, I feed the Game Bird Conditioner (Purina's 19%). Adult Buckeyes get Game Bird Chow -- Conditioner (19%), Layena (20%) or Maintenance (12%) depending on age.

When I have chicks out in the Spring, I am careful not to put Layena in the feed troughs (range feeders) or where they frequent. The Layena is mainly used only in breeding pens with younger adult birds. The Conditioner or Maintenance game bird feeds, I use in the regular feed troughs. All these game bird feeds are in crumble form.

I also feed either a 16% or 22% mini-pellet layena from a local feed company. I find that the birds do not waste the mini pellets. They can flip crumble out of most feeders. Whether a group gets 16% or 22% mainly depends upon the age of the birds with older birds getting the 16%. All the feeds I use have both animal and plant protein. I feed only what I think they will finish off during the day.

I bring in feeders at night so as not to feed the mice. Also, if I brood chicks inside, I will sometimes put amprolium (or other coccidiostat) in their water when I first introduce them to the ground outside. I have never lost chicks to cocci whether I have done this or not."

*Edited by Staff*

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, we've discussed this and are in agreement that in this thread, you are not allowed to discuss BREED CLUBS. NO acronyms, NO club names, NO links to breed club sites etc. If you are unsure whether a post you're considering making will violate this thread rule, PM a staff member...BEFORE posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
regarding their foraging/free ranging ability. Once they're out of the brooder cages, my entire flock free ranges 24/7/365. They generally cover a six acre area that includes woods, long grass pasture, short grass paddock, yard, barns, etc. The Buckeyes are very active, and will range out as far as the other, lighter weight breeds during the day. Unfortunately, they are not as fleet footed as the other breeds, so *if* there is a predator around that manages to get inside the pasture, the odds are that the Buckeye is gong to be the one that gets carried off. OTOH, they are very good to sleep inside at night rather than in the trees, so I've never lost one after sundown. They're also very good little Mothers. I thought I'd lost two hens, and I found one hunkered down with a clutch and the other just showed up trailing chicks.

Also, when I first started with them, I lost several to a mysterious illness that left them lethargic, with blue combs. They would lay around all day, and by the next day they were doing better. This was happening over and over, but just with this one breed. At the time, I kept crumbles out for them full time, and after two necropsies, it was determined they were stuffing themselves and their swollen crop was MOL suffocating them. It was not sour crop, nor was it impacted; it eventually emptied, they were just getting too full. Reminded me of a man who eats too much at a huge meal and is sick afterward because digesting is a big strain on his system. Anyway, I switched everybody not in a breeding pen or brooder cage to whole grain, (fiber is bulky, and they don't cram as much in at a time as they do with crumbles) and that was the end of it.

These are my two 11wk old buckeyes sunbathing together, along with some funny antics. I love these birds, and the SLW that cruises by, less interested in the sun. Echo (who always sings and talks) is on the left, and butterscotch is on the right :)

One question I have, is that my girls combs are yellow, and i have seen the pics of these birds with red combs and waddles. Not wanting to initiate incriminating debates, but is this normal?

Thanks

Does that include signature lines? I was told previously that those are acceptable. If that has changed, I would prefer to hear it up front than be given an infraction. Thanks.

11 week old pullets have yellow combs because they're not mature yet, as they get older and reach the point of lay their combs will redden up, as will their wattles and faces. Quite normal coloring for this age.

Many years ago when I first saw this, I thought the birds were dieing.............

w.

Yeah, the first time they did it I laughed, almost like I have been sheltering them too much, and then they hit the sun, and over they went! I do like how Butterscotch rolls right onto Echo! Cracked me up.

Here they are when much smaller hanging out on my arm

I have been enjoying the heck out of them. Here they are with their friend Pepper Hanging out on the side of the 4wheel drive temporary coop!

And Thank you Pathfinders for that info . . . I always get unsettled when I feel like my birds are not looking like what I think they are! (which is a confusing statement, sorry)

Does that include signature lines? I was told previously that those are acceptable. If that has changed, I would prefer to hear it up front than be given an infraction. Thanks.

Your signature line is fine as it does not have a forum - simply breed information.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom