The Buckeye Thread

Here is a message just put out by the APA for those of you who belong or are breeders of pure poultry:

Check out this message on the APA website:
Flock Certification Program
The American Poultry Association (APA) has received several inquiries in recent months concerning a flock certification program. It seems that there are individuals offering flock certification services, via the internet, and are mentioning the APA in their advertising. It should be known that the APA does not endorse any individuals advertising flock certification programs nor do we oversee or offer a flock certification program at this time.
The APA is looking into the feasibility of such a program and , if we go forward with it, we will certainly inform the public through our website and the various poultry publications. However, until that happens, please enter into any flock certification agreements at your own risk.
Dave Anderson
APA Director

To me this sounds like another scam someone has cooked up to try making money off naive people. The only real certification recognized in the poultry community is the NPIP program which is there to ensure the health of the poultry population in our country.

Last edited:
One of the 'certification' deals that are being peddled is that of getting a flock certified as a "Heritage Flock", which if you look up the definition of what "heritage" is, you would see it makes no sense.
There are many breeds that are considered Heritage Breeds, and the Buckeye is one. To say some Buckeyes are Heritage and others are not is pure nonsense, either they are Buckeyes, or not Buckeyes.
So, buyer beware, when someone tries selling you birds that they say are a "Heritage Line", they are full of B.S.

One of the 'certification' deals that are being peddled is that of getting a flock certified as a "Heritage Flock", which if you look up the definition of what "heritage" is, you would see it makes no sense.
There are many breeds that are considered Heritage Breeds, and the Buckeye is one. To say some Buckeyes are Heritage and others are not is pure nonsense, either they are Buckeyes, or not Buckeyes.
So, buyer beware, when someone tries selling you birds that they say are a "Heritage Line", they are full of B.S.

The person "certifying" these flocks has a thing for Buckeyes and has approached many breeders of this breed to certify flocks. It is strictly a scam. Dave Anderson is the new President of the APA (as of April1). The APA will be doing a lot of housekeeping under his guidance. Another area of change will be the admission procedures for new varieties and breeds to the APA Standard. The entire admission process is on hold while the process is reviewed.

Walt

Thanks to Walt and the APA for taking a public stance on this issue.

I turned over all the info you guys sent to me or posted about the flock certification. I have known this individual since he was a kid and for some reason he just can't do things by the rules.....to bad as he he could be an asset. He is supposed to take down all references to the APA from his website.

Walt

It is Spring and housecleaning is in order for many of us.

It sure is. And as soon as the weather stays nice for a few days and we're not busy with the kids or household repairs, we've got to do some housecleaning on the "love shack." Then we can reevaluate our Buckeyes and select which rooster and which hens/pullets we want to separate out into a breeding pen for this year. In the mean time, we're planning to finally set eggs for a May Day hatch. Hubby wants to fill the incubator, so we should have lots of little buckeyes and buckeye crosses running around come May.

I have only got a few hatched so far, but the Bucks have ramped it up and I set about 4 dozen each time the last two weeks. I suddenly am going out and finding them everywhere. I have a sneaky Easter Egger in the mixed flock who keeps finding hiding spots. She is a clever one as there aren't too many spots to hide them from me, and some would be in plain sight if I were to walk around the coop, but haven't been able to with snow drifts on two sides, but today the rain came and the warm enough temps have melted a lot of what has been hanging around. Some warm breezy days would help here too.

Congratulations to Blueface! Champion American with his Buckeye at the Marietta, OH show! With more people showing hopefully we will see more wins like this from all breeders!

Keep breeding to SOP and we will get there :-D

Back
Top Bottom