The Buckeye Thread

Sarah,
My oldest hatched Bucks for the year are just coming up on 2 months, but even though the fluff has been light, I am getting some of the darkest juvies I have had. So, maybe it depends on the line or strain that is making that difference? I would have agreed with you until observing my own birds, even their first feathers are coming in darker this year, which goes to prove what good selection practices can do in just a couple of years. Not all of my Buckeyes have been dark, and they still have a ways to go to get as dark as the ones Joe and Josh have posted lately, but I have seen a significant difference by just culling those orange ones out when the come up. I do have one lighter hen, but her type is so good that I kept her in hopes that my dark males would tip her color scale in the other direction.

Each line feathers out differently as well. Some are slow growing and others are quick. I can't wait for more pics of babies on here. And then to see them as they grow. I have some hatching this weekend hopefully :)

Each line feathers out differently as well. Some are slow growing and others are quick. I can't wait for more pics of babies on here. And then to see them as they grow. I have some hatching this weekend hopefully :)
thumbsup.gif

Here are my 7 Easter-ish Buckeye angels....hatched April 19th; 2 were mal-positioned, but made it thru with no problem. It's my first attempt at hatching eggs from my flock (12 eggs set, 5 were infertile). These babies are the sweetest, most calm chicks I have ever met. Is everyone's Buckeye babies the same in temperment? I can't get over how good natured and friendly they are--better than their parents!

Back
Top Bottom