The Buckeye Thread

We just started in chickens and got 2 Buckeyes. I am in love with those 2 over our other chicks so far. Way more friendly and our one, Io is my shoulder chicken. Our other chick Oh is my dh's fave. They are 2 weeks old as of yesterday.

Here is Oh,

And Io,

My Dh is from Ohio hence the names.

If I post wing or body pics could you tell me what sex they are? Io is lighter than Oh, is this not wanted? We got them from a feed store so will they typically not be as dark red? These our are first chickens ever so we got these guys just for the breed name. But so far theyare my favorites out of the 8 we got.

If I post wing or body pics could you tell me what sex they are? Io is lighter than Oh, is this not wanted? We got them from a feed store so will they typically not be as dark red? These our are first chickens ever so we got these guys just for the breed name. But so far theyare my favorites out of the 8 we got.

I would not worry about the color right now. The darkness that people are talking about is not at all the most important feature in a Buckeye, and especially not in birds that you are keeping for your home flock and enjoyment. They will change their feathers several times before you see the adult plumage, which will most likely be gorgeous out in the sunshine in your yard.

Enjoy your Buckeyes - I call them my engineer birds... always wanting to know what I'm doing and why. They always run up to me when I come outside, which is endearing except when I am coming out to put them away. ;)

Currently up to my noodle in peeps, 4wk olds, 8wk olds and 16wk olds...between my freezer, my mom's freezer and my brother and sister's freezers, I think I about got us covered. Haven't hardly had time to turn around and say "boo". Had a friend, Jerry Couch go up to the Dickson TN double show with his Buckeyes (a 3yr old cock and a cockerel) and some of his buff Orps. He said there were some beautiful birds at that show including Buckeyes with quite the pedigree, you can imagine how pleased he was to take BB in both shows with his old Buckeye cock bird and his Orp won Res. LF Champion at one of the shows. He's proud of his Orps but really loves the Buckeyes...and who wouldn't !?!

Currently up to my noodle in peeps, 4wk olds, 8wk olds and 16wk olds...between my freezer, my mom's freezer and my brother and sister's freezers, I think I about got us covered. Haven't hardly had time to turn around and say "boo". Had a friend, Jerry Couch go up to the Dickson TN double show with his Buckeyes (a 3yr old cock and a cockerel) and some of his buff Orps. He said there were some beautiful birds at that show including Buckeyes with quite the pedigree, you can imagine how pleased he was to take BB in both shows with his old Buckeye cock bird and his Orp won Res. LF Champion at one of the shows. He's proud of his Orps but really loves the Buckeyes...and who wouldn't !?!

That's great to here. I spoke with Jerry, a real nice guy. He had a nice cock there, all 10 or so lbs of him. It was a shame it was a weight contest because both judges judged on weight. Goes to show that not all judges interpret what the standard suggests the same way regarding back length, color, weight, tail angle, feather fluff and shank color but hey; he was a nice big bird! He had real good heart girth! Good for Jerry, he likes his bucks so well that he only bred a handful. On that day his was the better buckeye to those that mattered. It is nice occasionally seeing the differences in how the birds get judged by different judges because it makes you appreciate the judges that like a good dark colored bird of SOP weight, these birds usually make Champion Row.

Last edited:
Sad to hear the birds are being judged on weight/size alone. Did the judges check undercolor or get out the SOP Blueface? Goes back to the judges knowing the breed. Sounds like they know RIR and judged them that way.

Before you assume substandard judgement is in play, please consider the slur that you're inferring on these people's experience, knowledge and years spent devoted to the fancy. I believe one of the judges has been an APA past president and probably knows the difference between a Buckeye and a RIR.

Back
Top Bottom