The Buckeye Thread

Before you assume substandard judgement is in play, please consider the slur that you're inferring on these people's experience, knowledge and years spent devoted to the fancy. I believe one of the judges has been an APA past president and probably knows the difference between a Buckeye and a RIR.

You'd think but as broad as the standard is its plausible that it could be interpreted many different ways......they judged them to the best of their abilities and that is all that we ask.....right. It's not like there is a set of scales at each isle......every person sees things differently!! Kind of explains the orange buckeyes out there; but we all live to show another day!!

Before you assume substandard judgement is in play, please consider the slur that you're inferring on these people's experience, knowledge and years spent devoted to the fancy. I believe one of the judges has been an APA past president and probably knows the difference between a Buckeye and a RIR.

I don't assume. I've seen and heard many a show person state that judging needs to be worked on. Personally I think they should have to go in for training classes every five or so years to refresh their memories of all breeds. If you don't see a breed often you don't know how to judge it.

Many different groups of all breeds discuss this fact.

Sorry to perturb but I think we can agree we all even former presidents can learn something new. Maybe it's time for the APA to start weighing the birds. Idk

Looking for some high quality heritage buckeye chicks for dual purpose use. Must be meaty, good layers and hatch there own young. Any one know a good breeder(s).

What exactly is a "heritage" buckeye? I know where you can get some standard bred buckeyes.
Heritage Poultry Conservancy

Definition
Heritage Chicken must adhere to the following:
  1. APA Standard Breed
    Heritage Chicken must be from parent and grandparent stock of breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) prior to the mid-20th century; whose genetic line can be traced back multiple generations; and with traits that meet the APA Standard of Perfection guidelines for the breed. Heritage Chicken must be produced and sired by an APA Standard breed. Heritage eggs must be laid by an APA Standard breed.
  2. Naturally mating.
    Heritage Chicken must be reproduced and genetically maintained through natural mating. Chickens marketed as "heritage" must be the result of naturally mating pairs of both grandparent and parent stock.
  3. Long productive outdoor lifespan.
    Heritage Chicken must have the genetic ability to live a long, vigorous life and thrive in the rigors of pasture-based, outdoor production systems. Breeding hens should be productive for 5-7 years and roosters for 3-5 years.
  4. Slow growth rate.
    Heritage Chicken must have a moderate to slow rate of growth, reaching appropriate market weight for the breed in no less than 14 weeks. This gives the chicken time to develop strong skeletal structure and healthy organs prior to building muscle mass.

Basically pure blood not diluted hatchery crap.

What exactly is a "heritage" buckeye? I know where you can get some standard bred buckeyes.

Definition
  1. APA Standard Breed
    Heritage Chicken must be from parent and grandparent stock of breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) prior to the mid-20th century; whose genetic line can be traced back multiple generations; and with traits that meet the APA Standard of Perfection guidelines for the breed. Heritage Chicken must be produced and sired by an APA Standard breed. Heritage eggs must be laid by an APA Standard breed.
  2. Naturally mating.
    Heritage Chicken must be reproduced and genetically maintained through natural mating. Chickens marketed as "heritage" must be the result of naturally mating pairs of both grandparent and parent stock.
    Heritage Chicken must have the genetic ability to live a long, vigorous life and thrive in the rigors of pasture-based, outdoor production systems. Breeding hens should be productive for 5-7 years and roosters for 3-5 years.
  4. Slow growth rate.
    Heritage Chicken must have a moderate to slow rate of growth, reaching appropriate market weight for the breed in no less than 14 weeks. This gives the chicken time to develop strong skeletal structure and healthy organs prior to building muscle mass.

I don't consider them heritage unless they meet all of the requirements above and hatch there own chicks.

I have been wanting these for some time now. So they have been a long time coming. They are direct from Jeff Lay so I have high expectations for them!
yippiechickie.gif

Very GOOD! They should do you well. Take the best of care of them....make sure they get good quality feed and you'll be happy. Keep us posted and be sure to ask questions if you need help!! Best of luck!
smile.png

Definition
  1. APA Standard Breed
  2. Naturally mating.
  4. Slow growth rate.

Thanks for the detailed definition but you are aware that the term "Heritage" was coined as a marketing ploy. That term is just a fad IMO to sell more birds. Be careful who you buy birds from; that term is being thrown around quite a bit by people that are using it to make a greater profit using "average at best" birds that probably haven't even owned them 3-5 years let alone 5-7 years. It's a pretty good marketing ploy!! It makes people feel like they are getting more than they really are. I've seen what people call "Heritage" Buckeyes are they do not meet SOP guidelines. They were masked hatchery birds......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom