The Buckeye Thread

Hi everyone. Hope I'm not asking something that has already been answered many times elsewhere, but I'm a noob so bear with me if that's the case.

I purchased what I was told her RIR pullets that were approximately 4 months. Now they are probably a little over 6 months and after looking at pictures on this site, they appear to me to look more like Buckeyes. I figure this is probably a common misidentification, especially as young pullets. What are the main differences? Mine have the darker glossy feathers on the neck and the iridescent longer green tail feathers.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Buckeyes don't have single combs.

Hi everyone. Hope I'm not asking something that has already been answered many times elsewhere, but I'm a noob so bear with me if that's the case.

I purchased what I was told her RIR pullets that were approximately 4 months. Now they are probably a little over 6 months and after looking at pictures on this site, they appear to me to look more like Buckeyes. I figure this is probably a common misidentification, especially as young pullets. What are the main differences? Mine have the darker glossy feathers on the neck and the iridescent longer green tail feathers.
[/IMG][/IMG]

These don't look like buckeyes. Single combed and even the color is off for both breeds. Both male and female buckeyes have pea combs.

Male Buckeye

Female Buckeye

The birds shown are production red type fowl. Not a Buckeye and not a Rhode Island Red. Here are a few of our young cockerels when they were about that age. You can see the that birds shown do not have proper type, nor proper feathering to be Reds.
Thanks Fred.

Thanks so much for the info. Pros and cons IYO? anything to be mindful or cautious of with these?

You'd probably want to start a thread on that subject, as this is the Buckeye thread.

The production red is merely a rusty colored chicken. Goodness only knows what the mix is, but they are often sold by hatcheries and feedstores, erroneously as Rhode Island Reds. This is only because the average backyarder simply doesn't care about breeds, breeding, heritage qualities, history, exhibiting their birds, etc.

All they want is eggs. Knowing this, the hatcheries crank these productive red birds out by the tens of thousands. Because of the non-selective nature of the mass production style of reproduction employed by the hatcheries, and by the lack of care exercised by those who propagate them in their backyards, the production reds have gotten a reputation of being all over the map, temperament wise, with the males often being described as aggressive. This is caused by the hatchery model of penning up 100 males with 800 females and the aggressive males "win" and pass their genes on to the offspring. Be advised of that possibility. Other than that? Enjoy the eggs. That is what these birds are primarily bred for; eggs.

Now back to the Buckeyes on the Buckeye channel.
smile.png

Last edited:
You'd probably want to start a thread on that subject, as this is the Buckeye thread.

The production red is merely a rusty colored chicken.  Goodness only knows what the mix is, but they are often sold by hatcheries and feedstores, erroneously as Rhode Island Reds.  This is only because the average backyarder simply doesn't care about breeds, breeding, heritage qualities, history, exhibiting their birds, etc.

All they want is eggs.  Knowing this, the hatcheries crank these productive red birds out by the tens of thousands.  Because of the non-selective nature of the mass production style of reproduction employed by the hatcheries, and by the lack of care exercised by those who propagate them in their backyards, the production reds have gotten a reputation of being all over the map, temperament wise, with the males often being described as aggressive.  This is caused by the hatchery model of penning up 100 males with 800 females and the aggressive males "win" and pass their genes on to the offspring.  Be advised of that possibility.  Other than that?   Enjoy the eggs.  That is what these birds are primarily bred for; eggs.  

Now back to the Buckeyes on the Buckeye channel.  :)

LOL love the buckeye channel! ;-)

Yes, you're right. Sorry, didn't mean to change the channel here so to speak, just figured maybe this confusion had come up before and y'all would have the answer like you did. I appreciate the information. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom