The Buckeye Thread

I have been considering adding the Buckeye's to my flock, hoping that the dark red coloring would blend into the prairie and reduce predator losses. I have tried various colored birds, I really liked the Delaware breed, but that white stood out like a flag of surrender.

I thought with what I read, that these were active hunters, that they might be a bit more aware...... but many of you are posting about predator losses. I understand about predator losses, I have fed a lot of them.

So in your experience, about the same as other breeds, or worse or better? I have had good luck with my BO's, I have lost a few, but not as many as others. And with the EE's, thought maybe the Buckeye would be an advantage, but I have read a lot of this thread, and it does not seem so?

Comments?

Mrs K

I have been considering adding the Buckeye's to my flock, hoping that the dark red coloring would blend into the prairie and reduce predator losses. I have tried various colored birds, I really liked the Delaware breed, but that white stood out like a flag of surrender.

I thought with what I read, that these were active hunters, that they might be a bit more aware...... but many of you are posting about predator losses. I understand about predator losses, I have fed a lot of them.

So in your experience, about the same as other breeds, or worse or better? I have had good luck with my BO's, I have lost a few, but not as many as others. And with the EE's, thought maybe the Buckeye would be an advantage, but I have read a lot of this thread, and it does not seem so?

Comments?

Mrs K
The thing with the Buckeyes that is more prominent, in my opinion is their ability to go out and forage. I think if you are looking for birds who will fight off predators, or attempt to, that would be something you might see more on an individual basis rather than generalizing as a breed. Some roosters are willing to fight for their flock if a predator calls, but others would just as soon run. The personality of the Buckeye is one of a friendly and calm nature, but some Buckeye owners have told of how their roosters have taken on predators. I just wouldn't count on that happening with any bird unless they have proven it to be so.
The color would be better suited than the Dels, I think. I think you would also enjoy that they are hardy birds in both the hot summer of your part of the country as well as the cold that can sweep down from Canada. Mine do very well here in Minnesota with both extremes.

Last edited:
I am not thinking of fighting off so much as alert to danger, hiding or blending in, or just being aware so as to disappear into the foilage. I do love to let mine out and about to forage, and will go spells without getting hit.

I once has a red and green EE rooster, and he was so alert, that I went a year without a loss.

I think I will order some from Sandhills Preservation, and give them a try. I do like the idea of the tolerance to the different temperatures, and small combs.

Mrs K

I am not thinking of fighting off so much as alert to danger, hiding or blending in, or just being aware so as to disappear into the foilage. I do love to let mine out and about to forage, and will go spells without getting hit.

I once has a red and green EE rooster, and he was so alert, that I went a year without a loss.

I think I will order some from Sandhills Preservation, and give them a try. I do like the idea of the tolerance to the different temperatures, and small combs.

Mrs K

In my opinion, for free range birds, the use of dogs is the best answer. While not fool-proof, To my knowledge, I haven't lost a bird in who knows when. You have to have the right dogs or they can be worse than any wild predator and they have to be raised with the chickens. Not really too much work considering the birds they save. My dogs kill the predators, not just scare them away.

I've seen coyotes take off with one of my buckeye roosters in his mouth. So, I wouldn't say they are the best to protect the flock.

Hellbender is referencing LGDs for protection. With those you're looking at close to 2 years before they can be trusted protecting the flock alone.

I use a varied canine approach.

At night, when the weather is not awfully cold, I allow my Patterdale Terriers to run at large and they kill any 'coons, 'possums and the like that might come within half mile or so of the chickens. Some nights I let my Caucasian Ovcharka and a couple of her year old pups run loose. She was crossed with my male Heeler to produce the litter of exceedingly protective beasts that deal with coyotes, dogs and whatever else might venture onto the place.

During the day, when the birds are free-ranging, I have two adults Heelers and one yearling that protect the flock.

It did indeed take some time for me to become totally comfortable with the two adult Heelers but they have taken on the job and have done it brilliantly for the past few years. They are kenneled in the chicken houses at night when the larger dogs are loose. Just this Summer, we added a pup with the older Heelers and he is doing great. He to was born/raised with the chickens and the adults 'check' him very well.

I know Heelers are not one of the breeds normally thought of as live stock protectors but these work for me and that's all that matters.

EDIT: The only area that's not well protected by the dogs is attack from raptors but due to a decades-long campaign against them by lethal means, little thought is given to such problems.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Terriers may be an option for us. We have 3 acres. I wanted a great Pyrenees back when I thought we were going to be able to buy the adjoining property. But that didn't pan out. Do you have any other small breed recommendations?

Hmmmm. Terriers may be an option for us. We have 3 acres. I wanted a great Pyrenees back when I thought we were going to be able to buy the adjoining property. But that didn't pan out. Do you have any other small breed recommendations?

I wouldn't want to recommend any other terrier breeds (especially AKC breeds) because the 'hunt' has not been maintained in many/most of them. A good Patterdale will take care of your needs. They don't raise cane like most other terriers but rather are fairly quiet. I'll post a couple pics of my Patterdales... We keep the European type: somewhat larger than what the Americans are breeding for. Americans are breeding them too small as far as I'm concerned but their fanciers want them to go to ground in a woodchuck hole, where as the Europeans are after Badger, which can dig their own holes or utilize rabbit warrens.

The pics of my dogs make them look big but the largest one is about 17 inches at the withers and weighs around 16 to 17 pounds.

My son Jason with the Matriarch. I imported her from Ireland.

The stunningly handsome man is me, holding Pinga, with a chuck he had done-in by himself at 10 months of age.

Here's the rub. This breed or any good WORKING TERRIER can never be trusted around poultry or any small stock. That's why they are allowed to roam after the flock dogs (in our case, the Heelers) and birds are put up for the night.

Our Heelers.

Back
Top Bottom