The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Feathers definitely make a difference in how the bird looks, regardless of size. I have a 4 month old Jersey Giant cockerel. He is hilariously huge, twice the size of the other young birds. But when I pick him up he is scrawny under all those feathers. I am interested to see how he fills out over the next two months since that breed is supposed to take 6 months to maturity, but he is much thinner than the BLRW that is about the same age even though they both look huge with all those fluffy feathers.

I love the JGs, but they are just a rack of bones that first YEAR! I tell people, they grow bones the first year and put flesh one the second. Loved their calm and gentle personalities. Almost as nice as the Buckeyes
wink.png

I'm silly.. I thought I had a weird RIR for the longest time. My egg order must have had some Buckeyes in them, as the breeder raises HRIR, Buckeys, Chantecler and BPRs.

His comb looked awfully fat to me, but does not remind me of the pea combs I'm used to seeing in my Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers.

Is he indeed a Buckeye?

He's 18 weeks.

Last edited:

I'm silly.. I thought I had a weird RIR for the longest time. My egg order must have had some Buckeyes in them, as the breeder raises HRIR, Buckeys, Chantecler and BPRs.

His comb looked awfully fat to me, but does not remind me of the pea combs I'm used to seeing in my Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers.

Is he indeed a Buckeye?

He's 18 weeks.
Yes, indeed a Buckeye. Should be a medium size pea comb on a Buckeye male. I do not think his comb looks fat. If anything, it looks about the right size for his age. Although it does not appear to have the three distinct ridges, it is also not twisted & IMHO, not so disappointing. From what I can discern from the picture, for 18 weeks, his body shape looks good and his shanks thick enough. Some folks around, who have trouble with proper color in the legs, would pay for those nice yellow color in the shanks. I also don't see any red-brown shading/ brandishing on them like I see in some lines. It would make a difference to me what his body felt like & what he weighed.

I respectfully disagree with my good friend, Laura, that this male looks like he is carrying the recessive single comb gene. His comb is appropriate, not perfect, but not off in its size.

P.S. I prefer a Buckeye cockerel with a robust comb.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed a Buckeye. Should be a medium size pea comb on a Buckeye male. I do not think his comb looks fat. If anything, it looks about the right size for his age. Although it does not appear to have the three distinct ridges, it is also not twisted & IMHO, not so disappointing. From what I can discern from the picture, for 18 weeks, his body shape looks good and his shanks thick enough. Some folks around, who have trouble with proper color in the legs, would pay for those nice yellow color in the shanks. I also don't see any red-brown shading/ brandishing on them like I see in some lines. It would make a difference to me what his body felt like & what he weighed.

I respectfully disagree with my good friend, Laura, that this male looks like he is carrying the recessive single comb gene. His comb is appropriate, not perfect, but not off in its size.

P.S. I prefer a Buckeye cockerel with a robust comb.
Thank you for weighing in. I posted the female I have as well. I can't tell if she has a pea comb, like I said with him - it's not the pea comb I'm used to in my Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. The ridges are not clear.

Note: There is a filter on the second image.

Oh here is one that is very close to what I see in person for colour. This one is a few weeks ago.

She is also 18 weeks old.

Quote:
Thank you for weighing in. I posted the female I have as well. I can't tell if she has a pea comb, like I said with him - it's not the pea comb I'm used to in my Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. The ridges are not clear.

She looks appropriate for her age (actually, she looks good for her age). Her comb should be a small pea comb & looks like that is what she's got. Her comb looks fine from what I can see. I like what I see. Nice Buckeyes.

She looks appropriate for her age (actually, she looks good for her age). Her comb should be a small pea comb & looks like that is what she's got. Her comb looks fine from what I can see. I like what I see. Nice Buckeyes.
Thank you!

Now I can say what they are without feeling foolish for calling them RIRs. The male I got rid of was, and he was scrawny in comparison!

Nice beefy birds with the best foraging I have. Comparable with my CX for distance in range. Yes my CX range far and wide.

Thank you!

Now I can say what they are without feeling foolish for calling them RIRs. The male I got rid of was, and he was scrawny in comparison!

Nice beefy birds with the best foraging I have. Comparable with my CX for distance in range. Yes my CX range far and wide.
Im the one who gave those chickens to aoxa and I felt a few of my roosters were "Scrawnier" but with bigger combs and what I thought were "Stealth roosters" Were much meatier. Now we know its because their buckeyes. Here are some of my possible ones when they were a bit younger. I need to get some updated photos soon now that the roosters and hens are obvious. How can you tell RIR hens from Buckeyes. Im going to need to figure that out when their old enough and I need to separate for breeding pens

Back
Top Bottom