The Buckeye Thread

Pics
I'm hoping to get some advice on a lone Buckeye cockerel (Urch stock) that I hatched in May.

He was the only chick to hatch from 12+ eggs, and I don't have any other Buckeyes. Simply because I don't have a mate for him and don't want to keep superfluous roosters thru winter, he was on the short list to go when I thin out the flock next month. But since I really want to start working with this breed, I thought I'd get a second opinion. If he shows any promise at all, I may hang onto him a bit longer and start looking for some hens. If not, I'll cull him and start over with a batch of chicks next Spring.

He's about 17 weeks old now, and feathers are still coming in. Any thoughts? Thanks!

From what I can see (and he is young yet as Laura says), he has a nice comb & good head, body looks broad and full, good spacing between his legs, front looks good for age & for the color folks, no black in his breast feathers -- Have you weighed him? What is his weight at this age?

P.S. Your cockerel holds his wings correctly too per SOP with wing fronts covered by breast feathers and wing points by saddle feathers.

Last edited:

I think that may be the way he was standing.

He is wide and broad (even more so than the Barred Rock cockerels I'm keeping) which is why I'm having second thoughts about his future. I'll probably keep him until December, then reevaluate.

Thanks!

I love the width of him in the photo looking down, definitely a keeper!

Lost another Buckeye pullet this morning. I started with 17 Buckeye chicks and I have put 2 cockerels in the freezer and have 3 pullets left.

The rest I have lost to the same thing. They just become lethargic, but never quit eating or drinking. After about 2 to 3 weeks they die. I also started with Australorp (20), Marans (6), Leghorns (4), & Easter Eggers (2) chicks, and have not lost one of them to an unknown cause, a few cockerels have went to freezer camp.

I just find that very strange.

Dan

Lost another Buckeye pullet this morning. I started with 17 Buckeye chicks and I have put 2 cockerels in the freezer and have 3 pullets left.
The rest I have lost to the same thing. They just become lethargic, but never quit eating or drinking. After about 2 to 3 weeks they die. I also started with Australorp (20), Marans (6), Leghorns (4), & Easter Eggers (2) chicks, and have not lost one of them to an unknown cause, a few cockerels have went to freezer camp.

Dan
Have you sent a bird in for a necropsy at your state Avian Health Lab? It IS strange. Are all your others immunized, and the B's not? Just seems crazy, 'cause as a Buckeye lurker/closet fan, just about everyone says how hardy and happy they are. Hope you don't lose any more...
-AG

Dan
It sounds like Mareks disease, but there is no way to do a diagnosis online. You would have to send them to a lab and they don't always get it right either.

Walt

Have you sent a bird in for a necropsy at your state Avian Health Lab? It IS strange. Are all your others immunized, and the B's not? Just seems crazy, 'cause as a Buckeye lurker/closet fan, just about everyone says how hardy and happy they are. Hope you don't lose any more...
-AG
I talked to my Vet. He does nothing with chickens, but he did give me the number for U of I. It is a long way from me and I did not feel it was feasible to make that trip.

The others have had no immunizations. They have had the same care, same feed, same vitamins, same treats, etc., etc. I doubt I lose many more. I only have 3. Whatever it is? It seems to only affect them! I have not had another bird show these symptoms and die or get over it. It has me stumped!

Dan

Dan

I am so sorry to hear this. I agree, if you can, do take one in (before it dies, but while sick, if possible) and have it posted. But as Walt says, even the state labs don't always get it right.
sad.png

I talked to my Vet. He does nothing with chickens, but he did give me the number for U of I. It is a long way from me and I did not feel it was feasible to make that trip.

The others have had no immunizations. They have had the same care, same feed, same vitamins, same treats, etc., etc. I doubt I lose many more. I only have 3. Whatever it is? It seems to only affect them! I have not had another bird show these symptoms and die or get over it. It has me stumped!

Dan
Yes, par for the course with Vets. WSU out here is running hard trying to produce poultry knowledgeable professionals, but will be a few years before they are "out n about"... Our lab has you fill out a form, wash the body in soapy water, double zip loc and ship it on ice by 2-3day USPS. Given how much $ you could be out in future would determine if you think it's worth it. Here a necropsy is about 20$, the shipping is more. I'm going to be spending approx 100$ pre-breeding season on some tests to verify my flock is MG free (had it run through my youngsters this summer), so I know my eggs will hatch! In my case, should pay for itself. Be interesting at any rate to see what the generally bullet proof Buckeye succumbed to...

Yes, par for the course with Vets. WSU out here is running hard trying to produce poultry knowledgeable professionals, but will be a few years before they are "out n about"... Our lab has you fill out a form, wash the body in soapy water, double zip loc and ship it on ice by 2-3day USPS. Given how much $ you could be out in future would determine if you think it's worth it. Here a necropsy is about 20$, the shipping is more. I'm going to be spending approx 100$ pre-breeding season on some tests to verify my flock is MG free (had it run through my youngsters this summer), so I know my eggs will hatch! In my case, should pay for itself. Be interesting at any rate to see what the generally bullet proof Buckeye succumbed to...
Bullet Proof? What I'd like to know is what is killing these Buckeyes that the other 4 breeds seem to be immune to. I hope it stays that way!

Dan

Last edited:
It could easily be a regional illness. I have heard of things like Marek's effecting birds differently based on the region. Where are you located? and where did the Buckeyes come from? Where were your other birds from?

Back
Top Bottom