The Buckeye Thread

Pics
That title is just as much hers as it is mine! She is my shadow and works so hard to ensure they have great care. Sure she is learning from me and knows more than most people twice her age; but I couldn't have done what has been done without her!!!! Sydney is an amazing young lady and very dedicated!!!! Sure the breeding, selecting, money, feed, ect. is all from my end; she is only 13 years old but without her; this would have much harder!!!!

I am sure everyone agrees that your daughter is a great help to you and more than deserves any an all awards you win together. From what we can see she seems like a great kid, and I am sure she will go very far in life.

My kids have always been excellent helpers to me, and I am sure it was our life on the farm that has prompted our younger to enroll in the Animal Sciences/Pre-Vet program at UK so that she can become a large animal vet.

And honestly, I do wish some shows would recognize the efforts of the youth more. I know some do, but Lucasville, for example, doesn't even give out trophies to the youth winners. My daughters won CH Bantam one year with a little Dutch hen, and they got nothing, not even a mention during the awards. That was disappointing for them to not be recognized at all, because they did the chores, day in and day out, they prepared their birds for show, they chose the ones they were going to show, and they did all the work for them at the show.

I am glad some shows, like the OH National, go out of their way to recognize the youth with trophies and other awards. It just seems right to me. Heck, I think the youth should get bigger trophies than the adults! LOL...

Heck, I think the youth should get bigger trophies than the adults! LOL...

I agree! I think the trophies are a bigger deal to the youth. Some of us adults who have moved around a bit have learned that it's better not to have as much stuff. But of all the things I've gotten rid of in my travels, the few trophies won in my youth have stayed.

I agree! I think the trophies are a bigger deal to the youth. Some of us adults who have moved around a bit have learned that it's better not to have as much stuff. But of all the things I've gotten rid of in my travels, the few trophies won in my youth have stayed.

My kids, bless their hearts, decided when they went off to college to donate the majority of their trophies to our local 4-H office so they could strip the plates off and recycle them. They kept a couple that were near and dear to their hearts, but the bulk of them went back to 4-H for them to re-use. I have to say I was proud of them for doing so.

To get a Trophy or a Ribbon simply means in one person's opinion you deserved it that day! LOL! Little to brag about! I have had animals win many in my life. They all made their way to the Trash or were buried with that animal! They were theirs not mine. There are many things that are important in life, health to just name one!

It never ceases to amaze me what some people think is something worth bragging about. Kids are a different story! but then some never grow up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's just my thought this morning after following this thread for a while.
I am of the opinion that Joe's win achieves great things for the Buckeyes.!
And he and his family. Because if we are all honest that kind of dedication takes a family to make all of it work have achieved successes for a breed that many wish they could get to.
I think that if more chicken people on this site would recognize all that he has done to help educate and support the newbie and the know it alls. His announcement of wins would sound less like crowing "to some" and more of a man in search of the original breeders "Nettie" 's intent.
I say congrats !!! To him ,his Flock and his family! Can't wait to see these birds in person at ON! Last year I enjoyed the show very much but this year will be better I'm sure!
Have a great morning. I'm going back to my nest w coffee.

To get a Trophy or a Ribbon simply means in one person's opinion you deserved it that day! LOL! Little to brag about! I have had animals win many in my life. They all made their way to the Trash or were buried with that animal! They were theirs not mine. There are many things that are important in life, health to just name one!
I see a person who is proud that the hard work they have put into bettering the buckeye breed is paying off. Judges are starting to see it which tells me blueface is going in the right direction. Maybe we should listen and learn and not pass so much judgement? I know once mine start winning I will be just as proud my hard work paid off and will post here and on fb. Birds die, ribbons fade but a good name and being known as knowledgable and for improving the breed is never forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
That title is just as much hers as it is mine! She is my shadow and works so hard to ensure they have great care. Sure she is learning from me and knows more than most people twice her age; but I couldn't have done what has been done without her!!!! Sydney is an amazing young lady and very dedicated!!!! Sure the breeding, selecting, money, feed, ect. is all from my end; she is only 13 years old but without her; this would have much harder!!!!
I absolutely agree with the amazing part. Have there been any other 13 year old Grand Master Breeders? Even sharing the title with you, how many other children her age can claim that title? Adults with 10, 20 years in the fancy earn it all the time, but young people, not so much. Pretty birds come and go, but Sydney earning a Grand Master Breeder is something to really crow about.
smile.png

Yeah, I like learning about buckeyes - but frankly all of you (with few exceptions) don't seem to have a handle on how to share your opinion without smashing the hell out of someone who has a different opinion or a differing outlook or even is at a different stage of learning.

I think you all have some great insights - but even the ones I agree with present it in such a mean form.... and some other threads I am on, believe me - they talk about bathing, food, butchering and all sorts of things and have opinions even further apart than those on here - and they are NICE to each other. You guys really should decide why you are on this forum. I have thick skin, and don't really give a poop if someone is judgmental toward me - I will just evaluate their input and take it if I like it ... but many are not, and these attitudes and tones are downright hurtful.

Why do you wish to ruin the sharing ? Even if you don't change your opinion from another's input - don't you feel your position is even stronger after hearing something you disagree with ? So agree or disagree - there is a way to come out THANKFUL for the sharing - not disdainful of a differing position.

old.gif
and another thing .... these emoticons I really don't like - but they really help set the tone if you aren't good with words - so use them, eh ?
tongue2.gif

Trophies ? I think only 1-3 place should get a ribbon and I really disagree when every kid in a contest leaves with something - that takes away from the ones that excelled. Now hows that for mean?
big_smile.png

I have to agree about the discord between two groups and new people like myself who just want to learn and do good for the breed. I don't have thin skin, and me being in Alabama has nothing to do with it. I'm a Northern California girl grew up in the foothills showing sheep for 4H and a youth FFA kid. I won't hesitate to discontinue dealings with negative or sarcastic people. As retired Army family I can tell you I have deltg with enough sarcasm for a couple lifetimes. I face enough in my day to day that's why I got my Buckeyes. They are my hobby and something that brings me great joy. As for ribbons and awards, I don't care I just want to help with conservation with my little backyard flock. The shows... that's so someone like me who never seen a Buckeye close and personal can have the opportunity to meet these magnificent birds. They might take interest and contribute as well. I may screw up how I say something and my questions may be really basic. Those who post with advise and opinions let me take what you say and choose for myself. I don't need to be told why this person is wrong. So this meaage is to y'all. Help the new people like me please, it's about the Buckeye not you.

Back
Top Bottom