The Buckeye Thread

Pics
You know, I spoke too soon, because the very next day of my post here, one of my girls laid an egg, and she's been laying almost every day since! But the eggs are so small--like an elongated quail size egg. I hope this isn't the norm for Buckeyes. My RIR's lay giant eggs that don't fit in the cartons half the time. Should I cut back the lights so she stops laying until she's really ready?

It can sometimes take a while for pullet eggs to round out, or for them to not lay double yolkers, or to reach Large in size. It's all about the laying apparatus getting tuned up. Once they are a little older you'll be getting Large eggs from them. The American Egg Board grades Large eggs as weighing 24 ounces per dozen, minimum. See this page for more info on grading and sizes: http://www.aeb.org/foodservice-professionals/egg-products

I have two photos from the show on Saturday that I took with my phone, not the best quality, but here they are:

On the left is the BB cockerel, on the right is the RB cockerel.

This is the BB cockerel.

You should have them trained better! Wink Wink!!

Dan
ROFL! That was the first time that bird had ever been in a cage, those boys are pretty wild. The poor pullets sat in the cages with their tails down the whole time, pretty freaked out. Poor girlies. Ah well, I just consider it training for later shows.

Someone asked me in the Heritage Breeds thread here if, while at the OH National, I would be willing to help someone new to Buckeyes assess their birds (they got some chicks from me earlier this year) and show them what to look for when setting up breeding pens. I wanted to post my reply here as well:

I will be happy to critique my birds for folks, being able to do it with a live bird makes it much more effective. I can give tips about how to set up breeding pens in order to optimize the results, and discuss what works well together and what doesn't, in my experience.

What I won't do, however (just for the record) is critique others' birds without their permission, either in public online or in person. I find that to be poor sportsmanship, and unfair to the person whose birds they are, especially if they are unable to respond. I am happy to point out the good parts of someone else's birds, but won't discuss anything negative about them without their permission.

I was taught that one doesn't raise oneself up by dragging someone else down.

But happy to help anyone, customer or not, learn more about the breed, as far as I am able.

Back
Top Bottom