The Buckeye Thread

Pics
It doesn't matter what version of Sav A Chik you use.

Sav-A-ChickÂ
00ae.png
Electrolyte and Vitamin Supplement http://www.savachick.com/product.php?p=125
Sav-A-ChickÂ
00ae.png
Probiotic Supplement http://www.savachick.com/product.php?p=132

Neither one is considered a medication. They are specifically listed by the manufacturer as supplements because you give them in addition to (not in place of) the usual food and/or water.  OTOH, a treatment is given specifically to treat a condition such as a disease outbreak or worms. Medication that is given in the water is given in place of all other water until the treated solution is consumed. It's easy to tell them apart; if you're trying to fix a problem, remove all other source of water. If you just want to add something extra, water on the side is fine.
Interesting. I'll have to ask my vet about this debate. All doctors consider electrolytes a med when they hook up an IV and when given to my cats in the past it was marked under meds on the bill.

Just because it isn't a antibiotic doesn't mean it isn't a medicine.

Obviously we all differ in opinion. I'll call my vet tomorrow and see what he says.

I have been looking at different breeds of chickens and am considering starting a flock of them. These sound like a wonderful breed. Can any of you tell me where I can find some nice Buckeyes if I choose to get them? I am not sure if I will breed them or not or if I will just keep them around to enjoy for myself. Can someone tell me the difference between Buckeyes and Rhode Island Reds?

I have tried apple cider vinegar and can honestly say it repulses me so if I were a chicken I would like to be able to drink fresh water too! That being said, vitamin D helps the uptake of calcium. But I don't think you need to add anything especially since most feeds have added calcium. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere?!?!

Also, is there a good source to tell me more about Buckeyes? Are there any books published about them? I see some breeds have books written specifically about them.

I have been looking at different breeds of chickens and am considering starting a flock of them.  These sound like a wonderful breed.  Can any of you tell me where I can find some nice Buckeyes if I choose to get them?  I am not sure if I will breed them or not or if I will just keep them around to enjoy for myself.  Can someone tell me the difference between Buckeyes and Rhode Island Reds?

Sparky, my guess is that you are going to get a bunch of websites thrown at you. There are several people on here that raise the birds. Check out the links in the signature lines and my best advice is to read and make an educated decision for yourself. There is most definitely a difference between the two breeds. Check out my website and you'll see links that will lead you to the answers to the questions you are asking.

Thank you, blueface3. I will check them out.
Is there a good place to read more about the many different breeds? There are so many sites, it is hard to know what is telling the good information and what is not.

From a veterinary perspective you're going to get just as much argument as we have here. Electrolytes are used in theraputic medicinal ways during supportive care. Potassium is the most common and can be given as an oral supplement or intravenously. Given intravenously you have to be very careful of the dosing because it can have devastating effects. But given orally, and in the way that most people use it, it is a nutritional supplement. All of our nutricuticals (nutritional supplements that are given to produce a theraputic effect but are not medications and therefor not controlled by the FDA in the same manner) are listed in the computer under "oral drugs" even though they are not drugs.

As to offering additional water, again there is going to be a lot of debate amongst veterinarians about this. The board certified avian vet I worked for was not a fan of medicating birds in the drinking water. One of the concerns being that medications or supplements added to the water would make the water taste off and cause the birds to not drink enough. The bigger concern being that you can't accurately control dosage because you have no control over how much water each individual bird drinks. That said, this board certified vet works primarily with pet birds and doesn't do as much "flock management" medicine as someone with chickens would tend to do.

It doesn't matter what version of Sav A Chik you use.
Sav-A-ChickÂ
00ae.png
Electrolyte and Vitamin Supplement http://www.savachick.com/product.php?p=125
Sav-A-ChickÂ
00ae.png
Probiotic Supplement http://www.savachick.com/product.php?p=132

Neither one is considered a medication. They are specifically listed by the manufacturer as supplements because you give them in addition to (not in place of) the usual food and/or water. OTOH, a treatment is given specifically to treat a condition such as a disease outbreak or worms. Medication that is given in the water is given in place of all other water until the treated solution is consumed. It's easy to tell them apart; if you're trying to fix a problem, remove all other source of water. If you just want to add something extra, water owith their opinionn the side is fine.
You people just blow things out of proportion I said and will say it again READ THE LABELS on any thing you give your animals whether it is medicated or not, Dont take the word of someone unless they are a vet. and then that varies with their opinion. It is a violation to use any medication in a way that it is not labeled, Not saying we do or don't, but in a court of law anything you say on here can be used against you if the right people get hold of it.SO READ THE LABELS and follow them

From a veterinary perspective you're going to get just as much argument as we have here. Electrolytes are used in theraputic medicinal ways during supportive care. Potassium is the most common and can be given as an oral supplement or intravenously. Given intravenously you have to be very careful of the dosing because it can have devastating effects. But given orally, and in the way that most people use it, it is a nutritional supplement. All of our nutricuticals (nutritional supplements that are given to produce a theraputic effect but are not medications and therefor not controlled by the FDA in the same manner) are listed in the computer under "oral drugs" even though they are not drugs.

As to offering additional water, again there is going to be a lot of debate amongst veterinarians about this. The board certified avian vet I worked for was not a fan of medicating birds in the drinking water. One of the concerns being that medications or supplements added to the water would make the water taste off and cause the birds to not drink enough. The bigger concern being that you can't accurately control dosage because you have no control over how much water each individual bird drinks. That said, this board certified vet works primarily with pet birds and doesn't do as much "flock management" medicine as someone with chickens would tend to do.
My point on this whole matter is people need to read the labels on any medication that they give their animals being chickens , dogs, cats, or what ever. It is a violation to used medication other than what it was intended for and not following the label instructions.

Back
Top Bottom