The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Hahaha Do chickens make sounds like dinosaurs? Someone on another site somewhere said they do. That would be really funny.
lau.gif

I am 64 years old and I remember the Flintstones TV show, the dinosaurs would sound like dogs.

I just wanted to add how nicely the trio i have
That are (2) 7 mos (1) 4 mos blended into my existing flock of Barnevelders both very easy to feed/raise!!! And lots of fun showing too!!! I hope to see jason page at boston on sat!!! Mia at little rhody

Do you have pics apdeb?

To each their own but if I want to give my chickens supplement in their water I think I will control what they drink and for how long. If someone else wants to do it different then that is what I would do if I were you.

Dan
Common sense, good animal husbandry practice. Given a choice, animals/birds will prefer the non 'medicated' water.

Top color:
There has been much debate when discussing the Buckeyes exterior feather color. This debate revolves around how dark red the mahogany color should be. With today’s advanced technology, colors can be conveyed with better understooding with actual pictures rather than interpretations from a book that are nearly 100 years old.

The 2010 standard suggests that the general surface color be an even shade of rich mahogany-bay in all sections, with the exception the unexposed primaries and secondaries and the main tail feathers may contain black. According to the APA definitions, mahogany is "a deep, glowing reddish brown" and bay is defined as "a light-golden brown". Putting those two definitions together should make alot of sense; right? The definition to mahogany-bay is fairly broad considering a “Google Search” of mahogany-bay and color; the search engine delivers a series of equine coat colors. None of which are “mahogany-bay”, however dark bay ( very dark red hair; sometimes also called "mahogany-bay" ) does register. This would lead me to believe that mahogany-bay is a relatively dark shade of red approaching dark mahogany, like that of today’s accepted Rhode Island Red color. From that description, difficulty observing anything "light-golden" is witnessed.

In the introduction to the breed, the standard references that the Buckeye is an american breed originating in Ohio, the “Buckeye State”, with the color similar to the richly colored buckeye nut . That being said, the buckeye nut appears to be a darker shade of red than many of the Buckeyes observed on the internet through any basic web search.

When digging a bit deeper and reading through the articles that Mrs. Nettie Metcalf published. The color was described in better detail; “--for my hens had that brown red surface like a ripe buckeye and the males were mostly a maroon red .” Mrs. Metcalf goes onto write; “The R.I. Reds are a sorrel and the Buckeyes a dark bay red, comparing them as one would cattle or horses of the same shades…..The Buckeye, as bred ideally, is as much darker in shade ..” (Pacific Fancier, 1909).

Later in 1917, Mrs. Metcalf wrote; “As for color—well, my own are so dark a red that at a little distance in the shadow they look fairly black, but when the sun strikes them and brings out that rich, garnish luster”. She goes on to write; “…with the very darkest of red plumage, hens containing some black not being objectionable to me as long as the males kept that dark red shade I admire.” (Poultry Success, 1917).

The information above suggests that the “true” color is a dark, deeper mahogany color; void of ANYTHING "light-golden".

The rich, vibrant sheen (glossy appearance) of the Buckeye will readily separate its dark appearance in color from the now; darker mahogany Rhode Island Red. Quality of brood stock, proper breeding techniques and a balanced diet separates average birds from what Mrs. Metcalf envisioned for this wonderful breed!

I've had 2 welsummers - and they are very pleasant, a little shy (could have been me not handling them too much) and very cold hardy - which is important to me up here.

I LOVE their egg coloring ! dark brown with odd spots around it. The younger hens lay darker and they lighter to just a deep or brown egg as the hen gets up there in age.

Here's another of my birds with a show win (from last year), CH LF at the Something to Crow About show. Just to demonstrate I don't always keep all the very best birds for myself, LOL:

Top color:
There has been much debate when discussing the Buckeyes exterior feather color. This debate revolves around how dark red the mahogany color should be. With today’s advanced technology, colors can be conveyed with better understooding with actual pictures rather than interpretations from a book that are nearly 100 years old.

The 2010 standard suggests that the general surface color be an even shade of rich mahogany-bay in all sections, with the exception the unexposed primaries and secondaries and the main tail feathers may contain black. According to the APA definitions, mahogany is "a deep, glowing reddish brown" and bay is defined as "a light-golden brown". Putting those two definitions together should make alot of sense; right? The definition to mahogany-bay is fairly broad considering a “Google Search” of mahogany-bay and color; the search engine delivers a series of equine coat colors. None of which are “mahogany-bay”, however dark bay ( very dark red hair; sometimes also called "mahogany-bay" ) does register. This would lead me to believe that mahogany-bay is a relatively dark shade of red approaching dark mahogany, like that of today’s accepted Rhode Island Red color. From that description, difficulty observing anything "light-golden" is witnessed.

In the introduction to the breed, the standard references that the Buckeye is an american breed originating in Ohio, the “Buckeye State”, with the color similar to the richly colored buckeye nut . That being said, the buckeye nut appears to be a darker shade of red than many of the Buckeyes observed on the internet through any basic web search.

When digging a bit deeper and reading through the articles that Mrs. Nettie Metcalf published. The color was described in better detail; “--for my hens had that brown red surface like a ripe buckeye and the males were mostly a maroon red .” Mrs. Metcalf goes onto write; “The R.I. Reds are a sorrel and the Buckeyes a dark bay red, comparing them as one would cattle or horses of the same shades…..The Buckeye, as bred ideally, is as much darker in shade ..” (Pacific Fancier, 1909).

Later in 1917, Mrs. Metcalf wrote; “As for color—well, my own are so dark a red that at a little distance in the shadow they look fairly black, but when the sun strikes them and brings out that rich, garnish luster”. She goes on to write; “…with the very darkest of red plumage, hens containing some black not being objectionable to me as long as the males kept that dark red shade I admire.” (Poultry Success, 1917).

The information above suggests that the “true” color is a dark, deeper mahogany color; void of ANYTHING "light-golden".

The rich, vibrant sheen (glossy appearance) of the Buckeye will readily separate its dark appearance in color from the now; darker mahogany Rhode Island Red. Quality of brood stock, proper breeding techniques and a balanced diet separates average birds from what Mrs. Metcalf envisioned for this wonderful breed!
Are you the original source of all this material?

All that being said, we have to bear in mind that with any bird being judged at a show, Type is 60%, Color is 30%, and Condition is 10%.

Back
Top Bottom