The Buckeye Thread

That is why I said to get a good line of buckeye, they all differ in temperament. If possible look at the flock you are buying from before you make the purchase so you can see what your chickens will look like when they get older. Walk around in the coop to see what kind of temperament they have, but most Buckeyes will be very docile.
I do agree that someone new to any breed should get to know the person they are getting stock from, as there is nothing like an in-person mentor to give advice when you're starting out. But for biosecurity reasons, I don't know very many people with any kind of poultry who allow someone to "walk around in their coop" as the risk of transmitting disease is too great. There are always work arounds like booties and bleach water mats to step on, etc, but don't be take it personally if the breeder you want to buy from doesn't invite you over right off the bat. Fortunately, as Buckeyechicken says, the Buckeye are generally friendly and phlegmatic enough that a "mean" bird, or one with a nervous, flighty disposition would be quite rare.
smile.png

Does the area they range on have to be grassed? The extra acreage that belongs to the neighbor is a field with just whatever grows. They bush hog it to keep it low but it is harder vegetation.
Given time, free range chickens will change the grasses and forbs that grow in an area. If it's mowed once a year to keep the woody growth down, they'll eat the seeds and leaves of many undesirable plants, eventually killing them out. They don't work quite as fast as a flock of sheep, or herd of cattle, horses or goats, but they will have a positive effect.

Given time, free range chickens will change the grasses and forbs that grow in an area. If it's mowed once a year to keep the woody growth down, they'll eat the seeds and leaves of many undesirable plants, eventually killing them out. They don't work quite as fast as a flock of sheep, or herd of cattle, horses or goats, but they will have a positive effect.

Perfect! Thanks!

Perfect! Thanks!
You'll also find that 30 chickens will be like a drop in the bucket free ranging over three acres. I have anywhere from one to well over two hundred birds ranging over a slightly smaller area(*), and if I didn't have livestock to keep it grazed, I would have to be out there mowing several times a year or I would loose birds in the tall grass. If you can, you'll want to be planting an assortment of shrubs and such to provide food and cover. There's an interesting thread here at BYC (they're running a flock of dominiques, but it would apply to pretty much any breed) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/791717/free-range-keeping-of-american-dominiques

(*) There is considerably more space for the birds here, but when you free range, you'll find they like to stay within sight of 'home'. They'll travel in small bands out foraging and work their way back home several times during the course of the day.

You'll also find that 30 chickens will be like a drop in the bucket free ranging over three acres. I have anywhere from one to well over two hundred birds ranging over a slightly smaller area(*), and if I didn't have livestock to keep it grazed, I would have to be out there mowing several times a year or I would loose birds in the tall grass. If you can, you'll want to be planting an assortment of shrubs and such to provide food and cover. There's an interesting thread here at BYC (they're running a flock of dominiques, but it would apply to pretty much any breed) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/791717/free-range-keeping-of-american-dominiques

(*)  There is considerably more space for the birds here, but when you free range, you'll find they like to stay within sight of 'home'. They'll travel in small bands out foraging and work their way back home several times during the course of the day.

That is great news to me as I was told by a friend who has a 200+ flock that I could only sustain 18 birds on about 2 acres...I am totally going to check out that thread!

What kinds of plants might be good to plant for foraging? So far I have found a seed mix for my "chicken garden" for the food I plan to store and feed to them tthroughot the winter...but, I am not sure what to plant for summer foraging and fun.

What kinds of plants might be good to plant for foraging? So far I have found a seed mix for my "chicken garden" for the food I plan to store and feed to them tthroughot the winter...but, I am not sure what to plant for summer foraging and fun.
Where you are will help to figure out what to plant, when, etc. And your friend saying 18 for 2 acres? Are you on a high desert plateau with no water, or something?

Southwest ohio. No, a flat piece of land with grass and could grow quite a bit

Is your friend free ranging his birds or does he keep them in a moveable coop? Birds not kept in a coop will hustle around and find alot of their own forage.That's the beauty of the heritage (old timey) breeds; they were developed at a time when people expected their birds to go out foraging and find at least part of their own grub. As to what to plant, I'd check with the state Department of natural Resources or the Audubon Society. Pretty much any native shrub or plant that provides food and cover for wild birds (especially ground birds like turkey, quail and pheasant) will be appreciated by your chickens as well. Depending on your state's budget, you might be able to purchase native plants inexpensively, it's worth asking about. Remember too, that plants that are attractive to insects are good, because your chickens will spend many happy hours chasing down bugs. Compared to the average suburban lawn, you'll be planting alot of weeds.
wink.png
But right off hand, I'd suggest sunflowers, holly (native and evergreen european varieties), and Sumac.

Last edited:
Is your friend free ranging his birds or does he keep them in a moveable coop? Birds not kept in a coop will hustle around and find alot of their own forage.That's the beauty of the heritage (old timey) breeds; they were developed at a time when people expected their birds to go out foraging and find at least part of their own grub. As to what to plant, I'd check with the state Department of natural Resources or the Audubon Society. Pretty much any native shrub or plant that provides food and cover for wild birds (especially ground birds like turkey, quail and pheasant) will be appreciated by your chickens as well. Depending on your state's budget, you might be able to purchase native plants inexpensively, it's worth asking about. Remember too, that plants that are attractive to insects are good, because your chickens will spend many happy hours chasing down bugs. Compared to the average suburban lawn, you'll be planting alot of weeds. ;) But right off hand, I'd suggest sunflowers, holly (native and evergreen european varieties), and Sumac.

No they free range in many many acres...weird.

Seriously thank you so much for helping me. I am trying to read as much info as I can, but it only leads to more questions ;)

One thing, there is a lot of honeysuckle (I think) outlining the field. Is that poisonous to chickens? The red berries they produce...

Back
Top Bottom