The Buckeye Thread

That's good because I don't feel that there are "true" breeders! We are all in this together for the breed. Life can be very entertaining that is for sure. I appreciate what your husband for all that he has done for our country....especially on today signifying Veterans Day and hope everything works out for him and you. There are absolutely no hard feelings; there wasn't any to begin with. I hope my response helped you. There is nothing better in my mind that a strong, healthy, and proud bird no matter what the breed or cross. Poultry is a wonderful thing and has been by my side for a VERY long time. It's always very pleasant to watch a mother hen, chasing biddies, or a young cockerel learning how to crow. One of my favorite things to do is pull up a five gallon bucket during feeding time, watch the young I raised each year feed together in the lot and watching them interact with each other. It really slows down the world and makes you appreciate what you have!
Ditto! Well said.

Thank you! I so appreciate all my chickens. They accept me for who I am and even my proud, handsome Buckeye cockeral, Rockey, will sit on my lap and let me just hug him and smell his feathers. Watching tv for me is in a lawn chair watching the chickies chase a bug or scratch in the compost heap and listening to the exctied chuckle of my roosters when they find something they want the hens to see. They provide love - even more when I bring treats!

Joe,
I just wanted to thank you for allowing us to see and handle the birds that were featured in this article. It was a great learning experience being able to tour the farm with you and Sydney. She is an amazing young woman. Your wife for allowing us to invade. Lol, and feed us as well!
Perfect ending to our vacation. We look forward to building a great friendship while building our buckeye flock. Thanks for all your help. You as I already knew are a funny guy!
Thanks so much for being open to teaching,guiding and sharing so much with us. Yes, quite the HERO in my book!
Have a great day.
You're welcome; had a great time. Come back anytime you want! Hardly a hero, just enjoy what I do!

I really love the old type Rocks (All varieties, specifically Barred) and Rhode Island Reds . They're on my list, if I can find good started birds nearby. My ol' lady is into Silkies, Polish, etc. She actually just got some Mille and Porcelin d'Uccles, as well.

It's nice to know someone is close by with the same interests! Maybe we can talk shop soon!

Sure, you betcha!
thumbsup.gif

I really love the old type Rocks (All varieties, specifically Barred) and Rhode Island Reds . They're on my list, if I can find good started birds nearby. My ol' lady is into Silkies, Polish, etc. She actually just got some Mille and Porcelin d'Uccles, as well.

It's nice to know someone is close by with the same interests! Maybe we can talk shop soon!
Would love to find out who you got your D'Uccles from?

That's good because I don't feel that there are "true" breeders! We are all in this together for the breed. Life can be very entertaining that is for sure. I appreciate what your husband for all that he has done for our country....especially on today signifying Veterans Day and hope everything works out for him and you. There are absolutely no hard feelings; there wasn't any to begin with. I hope my response helped you. There is nothing better in my mind that a strong, healthy, and proud bird no matter what the breed or cross. Poultry is a wonderful thing and has been by my side for a VERY long time. It's always very pleasant to watch a mother hen, chasing biddies, or a young cockerel learning how to crow. One of my favorite things to do is pull up a five gallon bucket during feeding time, watch the young I raised each year feed together in the lot and watching them interact with each other. It really slows down the world and makes you appreciate what you have!
You put words to something I have seen and felt since I got our first birds, but I never nailed it the way you did. The world does indeed slow when you stop to smell the roses, so to speak.

LMBO! Great name! Sorry about her injury though, I hope she isn't blind in that eye now. My Welsummer rooster got his eye injured and IS blind in one now. Kind of stinks but he still gets around and eats well.

her eyeball looks okay, it's the tissue around it that is really damaged. It was quite swollen tonight, but she is laying and eating and drinking. Doesn't seem bothered by it... I just want to be sure no one irritates the eye any more than it already is.

Also, thanks for your comments on my male. I think he is quite studly - minus the comb. I had a Ameraucana rooster with a funky comb and he didn't seem to pass it down to all of his kids (though there were a few). He is all I have to work with, so I think it's not a huge fault.
She looks more like a Limeade. I was thinking a Yellow one would have a name like Lemondrop. LOL!!
I had a blue boy that I had to get rid of, he wasn't very nice, and I don't eat silkie lol.

Joe,
I just wanted to thank you for allowing us to see and handle the birds that were featured in this article. It was a great learning experience being able to tour the farm with you and Sydney. She is an amazing young woman. Your wife for allowing us to invade. Lol, and feed us as well!
Perfect ending to our vacation. We look forward to building a great friendship while building our buckeye flock. Thanks for all your help. You as I already knew are a funny guy!
Thanks so much for being open to teaching,guiding and sharing so much with us. Yes, quite the HERO in my book!
Have a great day.

I also had the pleasure of going to Joes farm and handling the birds this weekend. It never ceases to thrill me holding champ and his get when I'm there.

One day I hope to have as nice of a setup and all of the knowledge to breed all chickens as well as Joe. He has many different types of chickens not just buckeyes. His mentor trained him well.

Thank you again for the lessons and thanks to your wife for lunch.

\ When they would go broody and he did not want them to he would throw them in the yard every day and they would get the hint stay off the nest. They always lay in the nest because he would place a round rock or something hard in there. \
My great grandfather used to put them in feed sacks and hang them on the clothes line to break broodiness. He was a crass man, but said it worked every time. I'd do something like this with wire cages if I had to break the broodiness (I usually indulge them though). Has anyone ever heard of their grandparents doing this to break broodiness, or is my great grandfather crazy?

My great grandfather used to put them in feed sacks and hang them on the clothes line to break broodiness. He was a crass man, but said it worked every time. I'd do something like this with wire cages if I had to break the broodiness (I usually indulge them though). Has anyone ever heard of their grandparents doing this to break broodiness, or is my great grandfather crazy?
They used to do a lot of things back a few years ago more than what the law will let us do today. If we were to do something like that someone would turn us in. But if it worked why not do it. I am like you I will put them in a wire cage. I have also heard that you could spray their under side while in the cage with cold water to help break them Don't know if that works.

Back
Top Bottom