The Buckeye Thread

A question has came up to which I know the answer but thought I would throw it out here to help the newbies learn. Anyone can answer.

What is the "E" locus of the buckeye and what is restricted on it?

Last edited:
I think it might be helpful to bring all three of your Buckeyes to a show even if no one else is showing. At least that way you will have a judge's opinion on which one he/she thinks is the better of your three Buckeyes. I can see where that could be especially helpful for a newbie who is just learning a new breed. Too bad the weather was so bad that no one else was able to show any Buckeyes.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
"Congrats, best of breed against 3 birds. Keep up the good work
smile.png

cgmccary Thanks Bluface3! I will."

I hope so Chris. It's one thing to win Best of Breed when you are the only exhibitor of your breed at a smaller show; (I mean, seriously, when there are fewer than 400 birds, you would pretty much*expect* there not to be any other of your rare breed), it's quite another to throw your hat in the ring at a show as big as Knoxville (5000+ birds) where it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect competition. Maybe next year if the weather cooperates, you'll see a whole row of Buckeyes. I hear there are quite a few breeders within a 6 hour drive of Knoxville; it would be great for the breed if they would show there next year too. I still think it's wonderful that you were able to make the trip; people aren't going to know what Buckeyes are supposed to look like if they don't see them.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
As one who took Best of Breed at a show of almost 3000 birds this fall, and was the only exhibitor in the class, I felt it was an empty win since I really didn't have any competition. However, I was successful in at least having the breed represented. I wouldn't go around tooting my own horn and making a big deal of it though. And Chris, I know you weren't tooting yours. It is fortunate that you were able to make the show. Hopefully, we will see an increase in the breed being represented as there seems to be a growing interest in the Buckeyes.

As one who took Best of Breed at a show of almost 3000 birds this fall, and was the only exhibitor in the class, I felt it was an empty win since I really didn't have any competition. However, I was successful in at least having the breed represented. I wouldn't go around tooting my own horn and making a big deal of it though. And Chris, I know you weren't tooting yours. It is fortunate that you were able to make the show. Hopefully, we will see an increase in the breed being represented as there seems to be a growing interest in the Buckeyes.
Well no, you wouldn't expect competition at the state fair, simply because there is only one, maybe two other individual breeders in Minnesota besides yourself. OTOH, there are well over 30 breeders listed in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee alone. It's the availability of competition that makes the horse race.

To make this clear, Chris did not "toot his horn" I did. I thanked him for making the effort to take such nice birds to a show so the Public could see them. Chris would have entered weeks ago, before anyone knew what the weather was going to be like. No way of knowing that only one other exhibitor would enter, and that they would find themselves frozen in place. In fact, with those numbers, I would have expected at least four of the best known breeders to be represented, not even counting the folks who seem interested enough in the breed to post here regularly. Any other breed with those demographics, we would have had a chance to see a lineup of the best breeders in the area.
hmm.png
That is why I applauded his willingness to make the trip. That is also why I wrote after you posted about the state fair: "Congratulations Minnie. I know it's discouraging to show without competition, but on the bright side, you are serving as an Ambassador for the breed, which is always a good thing." Like you, I hope that we will see an increase in the number of Buckeyes at shows; I hope that for ALL the breeds I have. My favorite way of putting it is that one day, I want to see them become "as common as Rocks"
big_smile.png

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all are making it difficult to leave this thread open.

Stop your nitpicking, finger-pointing, snyde comments toward each other! The Staff is tired of these attitudes, and if this continues, we'll lock this thread permanently and you will not be allowed to open another.

How about constructive discussion about the breed, SOP issues, breeding strategies, 2014 (and further) breeding plans? I certainly think there are FAR FAR many other things to discuss than who showed and who did not!

Does anyone use red cell for their poultry in feed or water, if so what is the benefits of it, what age should you start administering it, and at what dosage?

Back
Top Bottom