The Buckeye Thread

Good suggestion Josh. I brought this up before and it never took traction but,

Has anyone pushed buckeyes as 4-H projects? This year I have put together a "dual-purpose" project in our county. My country already has an egg production project in which a judge examines the eggs for size/shape comparisions and for blemishes and checks the hens' (3 of them) pelvic width and depth.
I plan on coupling that project with the examination of of 2 males of equal size to judge meat distibution as you would judge meat projects. Those two concepts put together will make the "dual purpose" project.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Most of us are novices. THe experienced folks haven't been visiting much or at all any more . . . .

Has anyone pushed buckeyes as 4-H projects? This year I have put together a "dual-purpose" project in our county. My country already has an egg production project in which a judge examines the eggs for size/shape comparisions and for blemishes and checks the hens' (3 of them) pelvic width and depth.
I plan on coupling that project with the examination of of 2 males of equal size to judge meat distibution as you would judge meat projects. Those two concepts put together will make the "dual purpose" project.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I don't like cornish crosses. I have raised them and they taste good. I just don't like that they go from a 2 oz. fuzzball to a 6+ lb. musclebound broken leg neanderthal in less than 2 months. They can't reproduce naturally. I just don't like them. I know they have their place. I am thrilled at the idea of going to my county fair and seeing real standard bred chickens in the meat section. I was never in 4H as a child. I got my first poultry at the age of 30. But I know that the youth are the future. I plan on getting with some local clubs and talking about buckeyes. What all do you do to get a new class like dual purpose in their shows?

That's an excellent idea. Our fair added a category for Heritage broilers two years ago and we've had some Freedom Rangers and Dark Cornish show but they never stood a chance against the CX hybrids.

I like the idea of a dual purpose class and will bring that up with the poultry committee next month to consider it.

Most of us are novices. THe experienced folks haven't been visiting much or at all any more . . . .

You don't have to be experienced to talk about this; it's for 4-h and centered around children. Experience is debatable.

Furthermore you gain experience by thinking for yourself and not just being spoon fed whatever a person says is "right".

Last edited:
I don't like cornish crosses.  I have raised them and they taste good.  I just don't like that they go from a 2 oz. fuzzball to a 6+ lb. musclebound broken leg neanderthal in less than 2 months.  They can't reproduce naturally.  I just don't like them.  I know they have their place.  I am thrilled at the idea of going to my county fair and seeing real standard bred chickens in the meat section.  I was never in 4H as a child.  I got my first poultry at the age of 30.  But I know that the youth are the future.  I plan on getting with some local clubs and talking about buckeyes.  What all do you do to get a new class like dual purpose in their shows?

I'm not refering to crosses, actually judging the buckeyes and other dual purpose breeds as you would the meat projects. It would be a class in their own and not in a meat show; rather part of the fancy show like the egg production is.

Thoughts? Ideas?
I like the concept, and if you can get the fair people to go along with it, I applaud you!
One thing about 4-H is that it is a means to educate the general public. I encourage 4-Hers to think about that when they decide on what to take to the fair, it isn't just win a ribbon or trophy or to get money from premiums. I am sure a lot of people who aren't in the business of breeding chickens don't really know what "dual purpose" really means. We have gotten to a point of CRX meat birds and the hybrids that are superlayers. I have one neighbor, who has raised chickens for a lot longer than I have, and had kids showing them in 4-H call my birds "foo foo" chickens, because they weren't those that go in the Egg Laying classes, as if purebred chickens do not lay eggs. It made me laugh.

Our fairs do not even judge the eggs for the egg laying classes, it is the laying quality of the pen of pullets that gets judged to see how they look and feel PHYSICALLY, and if they are built to be good egg layers. The white egg class is always taken by the White Leghorn Hybrids like Pearl Whites. The brown egg class is always taken by one of the brown egg hybrids like Production Reds.
For some fairs, it just isn't feasible to have more classes since they have a very low volume participation in poultry to begin with.

I'm actually scheduled to give a talk on this very subject in April for our local 4-H communities as well as neighboring counties. I have a 4-H club of approximately 30 children/ 6 families that are really enjoying and exploring this concept along with both meat and fancy projects. Last year my club won top honors in every age group in skillathon included both overall best exhibitor for both meat and fancy poultry. It's important to teach children that meat doesn't magically appear in a grocery store.

Our fairs do not even judge the eggs for the egg laying classes, it is the laying quality of the pen of pullets that gets judged to see how they look and feel PHYSICALLY, and if they are built to be good egg layers. The white egg class is always taken by the White Leghorn Hybrids like Pearl Whites. The brown egg class is always taken by one of the brown egg hybrids like Production Reds.
For some fairs, it just isn't feasible to have more classes since they have a very low volume participation in poultry to begin with.
Right now for our county, we just have a generalized egg production class of which both white and brown egg layers compete together. Usually there is about 12 projects in this catagory and for the past 4 years, the buckeyes have won every year beating out hybrid egg producers such as comets and production Reds. Others breeds often include LF Brahmas, white leghorns, Barred Rocks, RIRs and even Delawares.

Last edited:
Hey all!
I've been reading and getting information on the buckeye as much as possible. I am really liking them and was wondering if anyone in FL had SQ flock they were selling chicks or hatching eggs from? Maybe even started pullets/cockerels?

I recently acquired another pen and coop and may even acquire 2 more in preparation for a more serious breeding program with chickens I can show but also have a friendly and entertaining personality.

Chickens are addicting... Before getting my first starter mutt pullets I *hated* birds. Now, I can't stop snuggling my hens (who are sick to death of me). Anyone care to feed my addiction? I am also willing buy shipped eggs, but I haven't had the best experience with shipped eggs and would prefer to see the parent flock and have you give me a severe education about your birds person to person (if shipped, by email is fine)

Hey all!
I've been reading and getting information on the buckeye as much as possible. I am really liking them and was wondering if anyone in FL had SQ flock they were selling chicks or hatching eggs from? Maybe even started pullets/cockerels?

I recently acquired another pen and coop and may even acquire 2 more in preparation for a more serious breeding program with chickens I can show but also have a friendly and entertaining personality.

Chickens are addicting... Before getting my first starter mutt pullets I *hated* birds. Now, I can't stop snuggling my hens (who are sick to death of me). Anyone care to feed my addiction? I am also willing buy shipped eggs, but I haven't had the best experience with shipped eggs and would prefer to see the parent flock and have you give me a severe education about your birds person to person (if shipped, by email is fine)
How are you doing? Buckeyes are a GREAT breed; they really are! Check the last web address in my signature line and you will be able to access a breeders list and more than likely has Buckeye breeders in Florida. Take care and good luck
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom