The Buckeye Thread

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to be as harsh as it sounds.

I don't think that statement is harsh. That was one of the very first things that was said to me by my mentor when I asked him to teach me about poultry over 20 years ago. That statement was later reenforced in graduate school by a very well respected professor of science. I was also taught to actually believe about 1/2 of everything written and to think critically about everything written as "absolute" or "fact".

I've been around this thread for a day or two and have noticed that so many people just went along with the status quo of which was a bit interesting.

I've always thrived by thinking for myself and challenging ideas that were questionable at best. That is why I encourage people to think for themselves because the result will be much more rewarding rather than being spoon fed what ever a person says is "right".

Unfortunately this breed has always been associated with controversy since its inception. Those RIR breeders were pretty rough on the ol' buckeye back in the day. It really is an interesting yet inspiring story of perseverance. But hopefully; this thread can move forward in a respectable direction void of bickering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us are novices. THe experienced folks haven't been visiting much or at all any more . . . .
It is unfortunate that you believe that breeders with experience have left the thread. I think there is an excellent level of experience here still willing to share their knowledge about the breed and its history and the successes it is achieving on the show tables. I also think it is wonderful that so many people have recently become so much more interested in this breed and have the desire to expand its presence in the poultry world. It is sad that this breed had dropped in recognition for so long, but there are now a few very good breeders around who are finally giving it its due, and with that will come more popularity.

I also commend anyone who is trying to teach young people the value of the Buckeye breed as a sustainable bird with a true dual-purpose usefulness. Some kids only show meat birds at fair, and some just the egg laying types, but here we have one who is good for both and we should encourage and teach those youth and their families that you don't have to choose between meat and eggs, and not all purebreds are "foo foo" breeds, as one of my neighbors once called the birds at our farm.

I also commend anyone who is trying to teach young people the value of the Buckeye breed as a sustainable bird with a true dual-purpose usefulness.

The article in "Chickens" magazine did it for me!
cool.png

The Buckeye breed has been fortunate to have many good articles about it in several places that have substantially increased interest, from non-poultry magazines like Mother Earth News and Hobby Farms to specialty publications like the Poultry Press.

At my fair, the public isn't all that aware of the competitions, so adding a class wouldn't really be valuable as an educational exercise except to the families directly participating. We get a lot more traction out of educational displays that talk about an aspect of poultry or poultry husbandry that we want to highlight. These displays can be static with text and photographs, or interactive in various ways. One year, my kids did a poster of feathers and feather types and structure, collected many different kinds, and we hung it with a magnifying glass and instructions to investigate the feathers.

Last edited:
Quote: I have been following this thread for many years, thru it's ups and downs-- and several of the previous contributors to this thread have moved on or rarely pop in any more --I"m sorry I didn't communicate that very well in the above post.

I talked to Jason Page at the NEPC and he has dispersed his flock. He sold his 2 pullets at the NEPC, both placed very well.

Last edited:
I also commend anyone who is trying to teach young people the value of the Buckeye breed as a sustainable bird with a true dual-purpose usefulness.  Some kids only show meat birds at fair, and some just the egg laying types, but here we have one who is good for both and we should encourage and teach those youth and their families that you don't have to choose between meat and eggs, and not all purebreds are "foo foo" breeds, as one of my neighbors once called the birds at our farm.  

That is very true; I had a family approach me last year at the fair and were very I interested in learning about the American class in general for their dual purpose capabilities. The family really didn't know the concept existed. Sure they knew about processing birds but they didn't realize that a single breed could fulfill both needs.

After about a week or so; they decided on a family of Rocks and I helped them track down a respectable family at a reasonable cost and they are very happy with them.

Last edited:
It's a blustery 9 degrees this morning and a negative windchill accompanied by 25 mph winds. It is snowing like crazy and there is snow drifts up to 20 inches. I look out my kitchen window and the buckeyes are out scratching in the snow?!?! All of my other birds are hunkered down in the barn. The next few days should be interesting......temps as low as -19 with wind chills as low as -35 to -40. Who ever said raising chickens is easy?!?!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom