The Buckeye Thread

Locking down again here for another of mother natures temper tantrums. Another 7-12 inches expected tomorrow. I'm so ready for spring and being able to work on the projects I have in mind for my buckeyes.

The weather has been challenging this year; the past week; we've got nearly 8 inches of snow; an inch of ice on top of that.....with temps now negative.....a whopping -4 this morning at feeding time.....with all of that; the buckeyes still come a running when they see you.

Challenging is a good way to put it. I was painfully reminded Wed. when I went to take care of the chickens that snow covered ice is still very slippery! Went from 6 eggs to 4 after that little experiment. But I have to say I am very pleased with how well the chickens have been handling it. We had 5+ inches of snow and blowing on top of that Wed. and I didn't get out to take care of them until after 2pm. They were happy to see the scraps I brought them, but didn't rush the water bowls when I refilled them. And while my big red babies refuse to step outside while there's snow on the ground if they can at all avoid it, they all seem quite content even within the close quarters of the coop. If we can make it through this winter, hopefully next winter will be a walk in the park.

I hope next years winter is better than this one as well. Next year I'll have a heated barn set-up with brood pens installed. Building my new farm is great! I'm starting with a completely clean slate.

I am re-thinking my situation and how to change things for future winters here. This season has been ridiculous, but at least I have started getting a few fertile Buck eggs. I have more going in the cooker tonight.

I'd like to know more about methods of bird-permanent identification for individual LF birds. With other breeds, we've used the plastic numbered legbands... but the Buckeyes take theirs off. I'd really like to have each one associated with a number so it's easy for clean, accurate recordkeeping. And although I'm very good at telling animals apart... the last time this happened there's one pair of hens that I might have gotten reversed.

I haven't used wing bands yet, but I know how to use them and they are pretty easy. The bird can't take them out, which is a plus. You can "remove" them, but its highly discouraged as it causes pain to the bird since you must plyer it out.

Otherwise, the other method I know about is toe punching. Sometimes the hole can heal when fresh, so it requires some checking but usually its very smooth and easy process.

If you prefer leg bands, the metal ones are expensive but you can also put a lot of information on them. It requires a special tool but I prefer them for the ones that will never be sold (and my information is on the bird directly). They are pretty permanent but they can be removed easily with the tool. They need the size chart as well.

Those are all the ones I know about :)

Last edited:
The wing band is a no go since these are show birds. The toe punch doesn't have enough combinations to cover enough birds, especially if birds come in and out of the flock.

Bopping around tonight, I see that the ABA site is pointing out that the band sizes they added for feather footed bantams are being used by some people for large fowl. This may be the answer I am looking for. Aside, of course, from the problem of guessing how many we'll need in what size!

The wing band is a no go since these are show birds. The toe punch doesn't have enough combinations to cover enough birds, especially if birds come in and out of the flock.

Bopping around tonight, I see that the ABA site is pointing out that the band sizes they added for feather footed bantams are being used by some people for large fowl. This may be the answer I am looking for. Aside, of course, from the problem of guessing how many we'll need in what size!
Here is a link for toe punch chart http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Toe_Punch_Chart.html
This might help

Last edited:
I didn't think wing bands were a disqualification or otherwise a problem in showing?

Has anyone tried locking leg bands? I'm glad to see that my buckeyes aren't the only ones who have a bad habit of taking off their bands. Of the 5 pullets we put bands on last fall, only one still has hers. And out of the three roosters, one has managed to loose his. My only other experience with bands is using colored zip-ties, which don't come off. But I've seen locking leg bands on a few websites and am starting to think that may be a good option for birds that we've decided are staying with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom