The Buckeye Thread

I feed my chicks a half mix of chick and turkey starter. The tend to need higher protein in the first 8 weeks. After that they go on a 19% grower then 17% layer. The issue as far as protein goes for grown birds is they seem to do better with animal protein than they do with vegetable protein. I add pork meal to their layer ration. I add enough to bump their percentage to 18%. The new fad about no animal protein in feeds is a joke as far as I'm concerned. They need it. They are omnivores after all. And I have made comments about cat food before. I will NEVER feed it to my birds. It says on the bag not for human consumption for a reason. And I eat my culls and their eggs.

Totally agree, and do the same thing, except use fish instead of pork meal. I suspect fish is easier in the Pacific NW, and pork is easier in Ohio.

Anyone going to the show at Lima next week? My granddaughter is taking a pair of young Buckeyes and I am taking a mature pair. I am scared to pieces! What if I find out that my Buckeyes aren't as good as I think they are???!!!!! It is my first show and I understand there are a lot of Bucks entered.......

Anyone going to the show at Lima next week? My granddaughter is taking a pair of young Buckeyes and I am taking a mature pair. I am scared to pieces! What if I find out that my Buckeyes aren't as good as I think they are???!!!!! It is my first show and I understand there are a lot of Bucks entered.......

It's fun. People are nice... especially to kids. If she is confident enough to ask for pointers, it's better if she asks than you. Strike up a conversation with other people with Buckeyes. And listen all you can.

The point of going is largely to find out what you have. Are these birds worth keeping, worth breeding, worth messing with? I am always glad to get an answer to that either way. Over time you'll learn too how far to trust any one evaluation, and always to use your own eyes too. With the first breed that we kept, I decided over time that ours weren't the best... but that we didn't really enjoy what was winning as the "best," so we don't pursue that breed any more. With another, I got a very good critique but I also came to realize that the line had a lot of positives, and that the goal my daughter had (breeding standard quality birds of that particular challenging variety) was quite different from the critiquer's goal, which was to win Best in Show, so they were worth keeping after all. And with Buckeyes, I learned that our original birds were pretty decent but also where they could and should be better. We're very excited about the baby chicks we have this year.

What's important is that you enjoy the birds that you have, and the goals that you have, and not get wrapped up into someone else's goal. If it turns out you need "better" birds... well, the good news is that they are out there to be had. And if you like yours, then no worries.

Wash your birds before the show, make sure they're free of parasites, remember your leg bands, get your kit together, try to arrive early, stay mellow, and ask polite and patient questions whenever you don't know what to do.

Bring a camera or a camera phone so you can take pictures of cage cards and birds that interest you and of your own placings. (That's my fallback for record keeping... the digital photos!)

Have a good time!
frow.gif

Last edited:

Nah, we're stuck here in IL. But good luck! Don't worry about whether your birds are "as good as you think they are." The point of poultry shows isn't (or shouldn't) be just winning. The most important part of a show, IMO, is being able to get an objective opinion on your birds that will help you to figure out their strengths and where they need improvement. For that, it doesn't matter if you win anything or not. You can get critiques and tips to improve your birds in the future regardless of whether the birds are at the top of the class. And if you're not caught up in trying to win Best in Show (or whatever), you can just relax and really enjoy the show and socializing with other chicken people for a weekend. When you approach a show that way, winning a ribbon is just a nice bonus.

Thank you for the positive encouragement! You are right Poltroon, I enjoy my birds and do want to hear what others think, but I still love the breed, love their personalities, love their hardiness in our miserable winters and just plain love them! My granddaughter is as scared as I am, but I don't dare to let her know Nana is terrified too!!! I will have fun - just don't want people snickering behind my back that I don't know what I am doing!!!!!

Bunni no one is going to make fun of you!!!
Relax and take it all in!!! Remember to ask the judge after if u dont understand anything
Most are happy to help and love talking chicken!!

Hatch #4 into the incubator tomorrow...250 eggs. Hatch rates have been running about 80% once they hit lock-down. You could say the girls have been busy...

Hatch #4 into the incubator tomorrow...250 eggs.  Hatch rates have been running about 80% once they hit lock-down.  You could say the girls have been busy...

How many hens and how long do you collect prior to setting the hatch? That's a lot of eggs going in. It pays to live in the south obviously. :). Good luck on your hatch.

Our laying flock fluctuates between 40 and 50 hens so it really doesn't take too long to fill up the hatching cabinet. Freezer camp will be packed out come June (can you say Buckeye on the Barbecue?). We'll pay for all of this good living in the south when summer rolls 'round and it's blinkin' 99 degrees with 99% humidity so don't get too jealous....

Back
Top Bottom