The Buckeye Thread

Jeff Lay definitely is a great guy, and a super knowledgeable breeder. He is also kind hearted, generous, and a fount of information.

I love the fact that he has been breeding buckeyes to standard AND for utility. After all how could they be Lay buckeyes if they don't (lay eggs). The eggs where large and weighed average 2 1/4 oz.

I have been waiting months for these eggs. I would not send them by mail. I drove up and got them and took the occasion to visit my sister who lives in Ohio.

I know I've learned a lot from him and blue face.

Last edited:
Yes he is! Mater of fact I just spoke with him a few minutes ago lol. I have the fortune to only live 30 min from him and pass his place every time I go to work! Talk about having the resources in your own backyard :yesss:

Now I'm jealous lol! I have to drive four hours to see him.

Quit it guys....I am less than a mile from his house daily as I go to work.....I can see his head swelling
wink.png

Where is he located in Ohio? I have a buckeye roo and hen (which is broody at the moment
smile.png
), and I'm getting ready to set them up in a breeding pen as I have other roos in the flock. I was thinking of maybe getting a few pullets instead of hatching. She would probably be a good mama though! She goes broody every 6-8 weeks. If Mr Lay is close to me, I can check with him.

Where is he located in Ohio? I have a buckeye roo and hen (which is broody at the moment
smile.png
), and I'm getting ready to set them up in a breeding pen as I have other roos in the flock. I was thinking of maybe getting a few pullets instead of hatching. She would probably be a good mama though! She goes broody every 6-8 weeks. If Mr Lay is close to me, I can check with him.

Just south of Dayton in Miamisburg, right of of 75. I don't think he has any extra pullets but it never hurts to ask.

Just south of Dayton in Miamisburg, right of of 75. I don't think he has any extra pullets but it never hurts to ask.
I had to bother him for a long time to get eggs from him. I know last I talked to him he was swamped with orders. But yeah it never hurts to ask ;)

Quote: Yeah, I know he was glad to hand me my eggs. I usually am not a bother about stuff like that. But, I was afraid I would have to wait until next year.

I was willing to wait, but rather not too much longer.

Now I am excited to see them grow out.

Gotta love broodies, I have 3 of them at the moment. Not bad considering I only have 8 hens
hmm.png
She's not going continue laying while broody, so you have a choice: make use of the incubator or break her broodiness and get your hen back. If you choose the former, leave her and watch what she does. If she's still at it after at least 2 days and sleeps in the nest box as well, then give her some eggs. I've seen broodies change their minds after sitting 24 hours or more.

So if I collect eggs every day then how long will she continue this?

If I leave a couple of marked eggs in the nest for her but she tries to hatch them (sterile eggs) then will she stay this way for a long time? She is epecting them to hatch so this could go on for a month right?

Jeff Lay definitely is a great guy, and a super knowledgeable breeder. He is also kind hearted, generous, and a fount of information.

I love the fact that he has been breeding buckeyes to standard AND for utility. After all how could they be Lay buckeyes if they don't (lay eggs). The eggs where large and weighed average 2 1/4 oz.

I have been waiting months for these eggs. I would not send them by mail. I drove up and got them and took the occasion to visit my sister who lives in Ohio.

Just to let you know what kind of guy he is, I heard he loaned out Brinsea incubators to schools so I checked with him and he brought a Brinsea up from Miamisburg to Columbus along with two dozen eggs for the kids in our local school in Sparta to hatch. If all goes well, they should have a bunch of chicks hatching out next Tuesday. I paid for a dozen Buckeye eggs and he tossed in a dozen assorted eggs for free. On top of that, I didn't have any chicks to sell this year and when I got a call from a lady here in Marengo looking for some, Jeff brought up a half dozen for her, so he was able to get this marvelous breed in the hands of some new chicken owners just down the street from me. I can't say enough good thing about him.

Back
Top Bottom