The Buckeye Thread

Congratulations Joe and Sydney. You guys have worked hard for it and it's nice to get recognized for all your accomplishments.

I appreciate everyone's comments! The buckeye has been a wonderful breed :) I consider this breed to be a lost gem in the poultry world that is just now beginning to reestablish itself and shine. It's unfortunate this breed has been so controversial but it does appear that controversy is nothing new to the buckeye. My success is just further proof accompanied with Nettie's written record that the buckeye breed is a DARK mahogany breed. People can say what they want regarding their views but results speak for themselves and talk is cheap. Yes I realize a birds type is very important but so are first impressions and the first thing you see is the color and how a bird carries itself.....regardless of what some think; this isn't "color tunnel vision"....this is the way the buckeye should look ;) ......I find those two things every bit as important at a broad chest in regards to an exhibition pen! So much bickering has been made surrounding this concept. It's easy for those that are "enlightened" to talk about how the breed should be but actually applying what is preached appears to be a much different story.....Very different indeed. From day one I've asked people to think for themselves and not follow a group of people blindly. Common sense and the ability to think critically for yourself is very important in the poultry world. The buckeye has had the ability to withstand the test of time and I feel the breed is at a crossroads to becoming great.

Here is a letter that I received from the Ohio State Senate congratulating me for taking this breed to the next level :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, exciting news for Buckeye Nation and myself. The Buckeye breed officially has its first Grand Master Breeder. I confirmed it with secretary of the APA. I successfully earned enough APA exhibition points to be recognized as a Master Breeder last year and will be recognized in the APA yearbook. I had 91 points towards the Grand Master honor going into 2014. After winning in Marietta, OH and in Frankfort, KY this year, I have enough points to recognized as the first ever Grand Master Buckeye Breeder! Frankfort was a very important show and the Ohio Buckeye did GREAT!
Congrats Joey. I didn't know there was a grand master Breeders award. I only knew about the grand master exhibitor. Well done. You must be so proud.

Congrats Joey.  I didn't know  there was a grand master Breeders award.  I only knew about the grand master exhibitor.  Well done.  You must be so proud.

Thanks Sharon, From what I've noticed; I've observed the two terms "breeder" and "exhibitor" used interchangeably for some time; even in the ads in the APA yearbook. I've read numerous articles were the individuals were called "master breeders". If its not correct why isn't it being pointed out more often?

Go ahead and "google"... "Master Breeder poultry" and see all of the misinformed information involving people and Breed Clubs!!! It does show that the two terms are readily interchanged.

At any rate; it was what the State Senate elected to place on the letter....I'm good with it ;)
My bantams look good so far; maybe I can accomplish the same with them :)

Last edited:
I can see the arguement that it takes years to become an established breeder and not many people stick with a breed long enough to actually "master"the breed; but a chicken is a chicken and like organic chemistry; there are fundamental "rules" that govern. Once you understand those "rules" and the basic concepts of manipulating them; it really makes the whole breeding concept not exactly easy but rather less complicated. There are people that I'm sure have propagated poultry for many many years that do nothing more than put a male and female/s together to reproduce a breed but there are those that put a male and female together to enhance/better a breed as it pertains to the standard. I guess it all boils down to how perceptive a person is to genetics and personal objectives

Congratulations on the "Grand Master" status within the APA and I believe it is the FIRST time for the Buckeye Large Fowl to share this honor! It's my understanding that in order to achieve "Grand Master" one must acquire 100 or more points showing a single variety and to my knowledge Shumaker is the first person to do so with the Buckeye breed. Job well done, sir!

Regards,

Jeff Lay
The American Buckeye Club
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342

PS - Thanks again for your support of the American Buckeye Club.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the "Grand Master" status within the APA and I believe it is the FIRST time for the Buckeye Large Fowl to share this honor!  It's my understanding that in order to achieve "Grand Master" one must acquire 100 or more points showing a single variety and to my knowledge Shumaker is the first person to do so with the Buckeye breed.  Job well done, sir!

Regards,

Jeff Lay
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342

Ahhhhh he!! No.......they'll let anybody into here. :) the Grand Poobah has arrived...lol

Jeff....your bill is in the mail for all of this support ;)

Last edited:
Congratulations on the "Grand Master" status within the APA and I believe it is the FIRST time for the Buckeye Large Fowl to share this honor!  It's my understanding that in order to achieve "Grand Master" one must acquire 100 or more points showing a single variety and to my knowledge Shumaker is the first person to do so with the Buckeye breed.  Job well done, sir!

Regards,

Jeff Lay
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342

Well, well. Look who finally got his bum on here. Welcome Grand Poohbah.

:-D

Back
Top Bottom