The Buckeye Thread

These were pics taken at the last show. I presented a talk on "Breeding for a Purpose" and before the presentation, I brought one of my young pullets from the showroom floor for the children to enjoy
smile.png
....note: In the second pic, I'm not holding her....she is just sitting there enjoying the attention
smile.png

These types of pics are going to ruin your bully reputation. I think you are a big softy, but I actually know you and have seen you interact with children and go out of your way to help anyone who asks and treats you with dignity and respect.

AND you didn't charge anything for your presentation.
wink.png

Last edited:
Josh, children are the next generation of poultry exhibitors and preservationists!! It's important to provide them a memorable experience and support to excel! Myself and others in our breeders club are exploring avenues to promote this wonderful breed inside as well as outside of the APA helping the next generation of poultry enthusiasts. It's important that they see differences in what Nettie intended vs. the backyard hatchery type buckeyes.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I am so excited to have my 10 year old granddaughter have such a growing interest in how to breed better birds. She is getting to understand the standards almost better than I because she studies the Standard of Perfection with her best friend and they are now coming up with questions this Nana can't always answer without asking an expert! They actually are keeping me on my toes so I keep trying to learn more so I can stay a step ahead of them!

Thank you ALL, They sound like a wonderful breed. I can't wait to get some. I have only had laying hens since I started with chickens three years ago. I have toyed with the idea of getting into breeding and showing and I love the idea of raising a threatened heritage breed. But, I must say I went to my local fairs and the birds that have to stay in those small cages for a week to ten days look so unhappy? I would want to bring a sleeping bag and stay there with mine. :)

Josh, yours look wonderful and great that you are sharing them with the younger generations.

That's exactly why I am so excited to have my 10 year old granddaughter have such a growing interest in how to breed better birds. She is getting to understand the standards almost better than I because she studies the Standard of Perfection with her best friend and they are now coming up with questions this Nana can't always answer without asking an expert! They actually are keeping me on my toes so I keep trying to learn more so I can stay a step ahead of them!
That is wonderful!
smile.png
Have you looked at the "Understanding the SOP page Joe put together? I will send you the link.

If you have any questions, as I told you last weekend at the show.....all you need to do is ask! I want to see this breed do great because it is so capable of doing so!!

Thank you ALL, They sound like a wonderful breed. I can't wait to get some. I have only had laying hens since I started with chickens three years ago. I have toyed with the idea of getting into breeding and showing and I love the idea of raising a threatened heritage breed. But, I must say I went to my local fairs and the birds that have to stay in those small cages for a week to ten days look so unhappy? I would want to bring a sleeping bag and stay there with mine. :)

Josh, yours look wonderful and great that you are sharing them with the younger generations.
You are quite welcome. Buckeyes are gaining in popularity. They are very nice birds to raise. There are lines out there that can produce more aggressive fowl, but I've never had one turn mean on my farm. I believe genetics and proper breeding have a great deal to do with that trait. I I wouldn't consider the buckeye as overly threatened....maybe on the more rare side. I also believe that "heritage" is a buzz word to gain favor more than an actual description of the breed. Cramped coops can be avoided. You always have the ability to purchase "double" coops so the larger fowl have more room.

Anyone here close to NC sell chicks of their Buckeyes? I was considering ordering from Cackle in the Spring and including them in my order, will be getting about 25 chicks of varying breeds. Any suggestions of breeders?

Anyone here close to NC sell chicks of their Buckeyes? I was considering ordering from Cackle in the Spring and including them in my order, will be getting about 25 chicks of varying breeds. Any suggestions of breeders?
If you plan on showing in the future....just as a suggestion; I'd stay away from anything that carries the ALBC label.....they might make great utility birds; but there are some serious issues with exhibition quality. But that is my opinion ;)

Back
Top Bottom