The Buckeye Thread

Downloading the latest version of Google Chrome seems to have done the trick! Here are a few picks of my flock...Happy to finally post these!

I attended the MN State Poultry Show this weekend and came home very happy. I didn't make Champion Row, but I did get some decent placings. I won Best of Breed for my Buckeye hen:

Last year, I was the only Buckeye exhibitor. This year, there were two others showing.

"Downloading the latest version of Google Chrome seems to have done the trick!"

I would have to agree with Turk's post a while back about needing 10 posts before you can post pics. I have seen several people who had the same issue, but it solved itself on the 11th post. Congrats none the less. They do seam like a happy, healthy little flock of Buckeyes.

"Downloading the latest version of Google Chrome seems to have done the trick!"

I would have to agree with Turk's post a while back about needing 10 posts before you can post pics. I have seen several people who had the same issue, but it solved itself on the 11th post. Congrats none the less. They do seam like a happy, healthy little flock of Buckeyes.
Josh, there is no restriction on pic uploads for new members. There used to be, but we lifted it a few months ago.

If you see anyone having issues, please refer them to the Feedback and Announcement section. Thanks!

Last edited:
I attended the MN State Poultry Show this weekend and came home very happy. I didn't make Champion Row, but I did get some decent placings. I won Best of Breed for my Buckeye hen:

Last year, I was the only Buckeye exhibitor. This year, there were two others showing.
Congrats, Theri!

I have been reading through my APA Yearbook a little this morning. There are several interesting reads included in it. One article, called "Chicken Envy" brought something to mind but I did not see where the author (Mark Camilleri) touched on enough, is that before a person can truly begin to breed better birds, you have to understand the SOP and how to honestly, objectively evaluate the stock you have. It takes really getting your hands on your birds, it takes asking successful breeders and judges questions so that you aren't letting your own lack of knowledge lead you down the road that does not produce results. This is true with any livestock species you may show, or dogs or plants, or whatever. The judges I have had the opportunity to meet and clerk with in the short time I have been breeding has helped me tremendously to see my birds for what they are and identify where they need improving. Face it, no bird is perfect, so they all need a little something. Some people just have an "eye" for seeing a bird for what it is, others have to develop it. None of us are perfect either, so we can all pick up something new from time to time to helps us get better.
So, if you aren't sure if you are taking your Buckeyes in the right direction, give a shout. There are folks on here who can help you figure it out, and now we have a few APA judges who have joined us that have been wonderful at answering some of our questions and giving input one what they are seeing with this amazing breed we all are so fond of. We are in the midst of the Fall show season and it is exciting stuff! If you don't show and are interested in starting and want some advice, start working on next year's show plan now!
With that, I wish all of Buckeye Nation a happy Autumn day!

Back
Top Bottom