The Buckeye Thread

@slfarms , Your rooster is beautiful!

I have a daughter (9years old) She is super interested in showing chickens at the fair. Does anyone know what the criteria is? I assume she has to join 4H, but I don't even know where to start. Hubby & I are the only ones in our family raising chickens, so this is all new to us. We have had our chickens for 2+years. Of course added some, and cooked a few, and some are in the freezer.

Also to confuse everyone, I'm not sure which fair she would show at. We live in one county and she goes to school in another. ?

I have a daughter (9years old) She is super interested in showing chickens at the fair. Does anyone know what the criteria is? I assume she has to join 4H, but I don't even know where to start. Hubby & I are the only ones in our family raising chickens, so this is all new to us. We have had our chickens for 2+years. Of course added some, and cooked a few, and some are in the freezer.

Also to confuse everyone, I'm not sure which fair she would show at. We live in one county and she goes to school in another. ?

I have never been in 4-H only FFA but I had a friend that was in it. I think it just depends on which 4-H club you go to on the deciding factor on county fair.

I'd start here. http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/

Contact Doris. She'd be very glad to help.

Taking my 8 year old grandson to the Knoxville National where he'll be showing his bird. Almost every poultry show sanctioned by the APA or the ABA have a junior feature to them.

I have never been in 4-H only FFA but I had a friend that was in it. I think it just depends on which 4-H club you go to on the deciding factor on county fair.

I'd start here. http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/

Contact Doris. She'd be very glad to help.

Taking my 8 year old grandson to the Knoxville National where he'll be showing his bird. Almost every poultry show sanctioned by the APA or the ABA have a junior feature to them.

Cool! Thank you
big_smile.png
Off work on Monday, so I will start there & see what I can find out. She is super excited and driving me nuts! DH is not as much a chicken lover as she & I are.

Cool! Thank you
big_smile.png
Off work on Monday, so I will start there & see what I can find out. She is super excited and driving me nuts! DH is not as much a chicken lover as she & I are.
IF she wants to show in 4-H also, you need to contact your County 4-H Program Director through the County Extension Service. Most people show in the county they reside in, but rules about that are different all over the country. Check with them and see what clubs are available and then decide from there. This is still the beginning of the 4-H (officially starts October 1st), so it is a good time to join. Let them know that you are interested in showing poultry and ask if they can give you the name of the Poultry Supervisor for the county as well. Good luck! Buckeyes would be a wonderful way to start her off showing. The Large Fowl are calm enough that even kids can handle them.

IF she wants to show in 4-H also, you need to contact your County 4-H Program Director through the County Extension Service. Most people show in the county they reside in, but rules about that are different all over the country. Check with them and see what clubs are available and then decide from there. This is still the beginning of the 4-H (officially starts October 1st), so it is a good time to join. Let them know that you are interested in showing poultry and ask if they can give you the name of the Poultry Supervisor for the county as well. Good luck! Buckeyes would be a wonderful way to start her off showing. The Large Fowl are calm enough that even kids can handle them.

Great! Thanks. I'll make phone calls Monday. I have thought about getting some Buckeyes. They are beautiful.

Today I am dealing with a small hen that didn't come back to the coop last night, and we were relieved to find her presumably OK, until when I got home from work and she was on the back porch and had swallowed a feed bag string! UGH! Is she trying to kill herself, or me?

Came home and went to check on all the birds. It has been below freezing and near zero for a week. What do I find next to a young spruce tree.......a newly broody hatched clutch of buckeye chicks! If there is any evidence of the Buckeye breed hardiness, I'd say being able to hatch a clutch of chicks on the ground surrounded by snow, wind, and blistery temperatures is at the top of the list. All 8 chicks are doing well. I really don't want them so if anyone is close and would like a few chicks, let me know. I won't give them away, but they will be reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom