The Buckeye Thread

ROFL- that thought crossed my mind. That you might know others with working terriers!

Yep...there are a few forums dedicated to earth dogs that most of the serious owners/breeders frequent on a regular basis!
frow.gif

Hello everyone. I just thought now was a good time to be thinking (if you are not already doing this) about setting up your spring breed pens. There is no yard work or gardening to do so if you can brave the cold or have an unusually warm day, go out and take a long hard look at the heads, backs, tails, and overall color of all of your birds and critique them hard. Before we know it, the days will start getting longer and the eggs will become more abundant. Don't wait until then to make those decisions on who you want to procreate. In the next few days I am trying to put together a few groups of photos of males and females with good and bad traits. This should help you in making your breeder decisions. Until then, take an extra few minutes when you can to look deeper at your flock. Pick them up and handle them and weigh them to see where they stand against each other. AND please, if you don't already have an APA SOP, put it on your Christmas list or try to get one ASAP.

Hello everyone. I just thought now was a good time to be thinking (if you are not already doing this) about setting up your spring breed pens. There is no yard work or gardening to do so if you can brave the cold or have an unusually warm day, go out and take a long hard look at the heads, backs, tails, and overall color of all of your birds and critique them hard. Before we know it, the days will start getting longer and the eggs will become more abundant. Don't wait until then to make those decisions on who you want to procreate. In the next few days I am trying to put together a few groups of photos of males and females with good and bad traits. This should help you in making your breeder decisions. Until then, take an extra few minutes when you can to look deeper at your flock. Pick them up and handle them and weigh them to see where they stand against each other. AND please, if you don't already have an APA SOP, put it on your Christmas list or try to get one ASAP.

APASOPASOP ......Got it.My son Aaron already has something but I don't know it it's dated or not...don't know if any changes have been made from what he has to what can be the latest edition...will have to find out before I put too much stock in the one he loaned me!!!

APASOPASOP   ......Got it.My son Aaron already has something but I don't know it it's dated or not...don't know if any changes have been made from what he has to what can be the latest edition...will have to find out before I put too much stock in the one he loaned me!!! 

Go to the APA website and see what the latest addition is and then you will know if yours is outdated. For Buckeyes the standard hasn't changed in close to 50 years so no worries there if yours is an older addition.

My wife purchased 12 Buckeye eggs a couple months ago (off of ebay) and only one survived, and the survivor is now a six week old chick. We want to start our own small flock of Buckeyes (soon) but want to be able to figure out the sex of the one we have with us before proceeding.

Also - I'm not even sure Buckeye eggs will be possible to find this time of year.

Thanks ahead for any assistance.

Joe

My wife purchased 12 Buckeye eggs a couple months ago (off of ebay) and only one survived, and the survivor is now a six week old chick. We want to start our own small flock of Buckeyes (soon) but want to be able to figure out the sex of the one we have with us before proceeding.

Also - I'm not even sure Buckeye eggs will be possible to find this time of year.

Thanks ahead for any assistance.

Joe
Joe,
If you take some pictures, I am sure we can help you figure out the sex.

Feel free to post some pics of buckeye heads and compare them. As far as I am concerned, the head of the bird will transcend throughout the whole body. Ideally, you want a strong beak as well.

Back
Top Bottom