The Buckeye Thread

It is best if he is going to show to find some breeder type stock, but you should enjoy them from Meyer too.  They are just a wonderful breed for many reasons!
I was hoping to get them from a breeder. At the time, I had never purchased from a hatchery, and was afraid to have chicks in the mail. My family has had them shipped for generations now, and assured me that things are not that bad, and if they are not up to standard I did not pay breeder prices. So we took the chance. I feel a little more at ease about chicks in the mail.

I was hoping to get them from a breeder. At the time, I had never purchased from a hatchery, and was afraid to have chicks in the mail. My family has had them shipped for generations now, and assured me that things are not that bad, and if they are not up to standard I did not pay breeder prices. So we took the chance. I feel a little more at ease about chicks in the mail.
Chicks have been going through the mail for decades. Unless the weather on either end is very hot or very cold, they should travel just fine.

Hi all! I am new to the whole chicken thing, so please be kind. :) I chose to start with the Buckeye for my first breed. I have 9 eggs that are due to hatch next Tuesday. I can't wait!

After doing some reading, I ordered a high protein (25%) turkey starter. I plan to feed them this for the first 8 weeks. I have also heard that I can keep them outside during the day to range and bring them in at night until they get their first feathers.

I would be happy to take any advice on raising chickens - particularly Buckeyes - if anybody is willing to give any.

I would like to eventually end up with 10 to 20 laying hens. After about a year of successfully doing this organically, I would like to raise some for meat too.

Hi all! I am new to the whole chicken thing, so please be kind. :) I chose to start with the Buckeye for my first breed. I have 9 eggs that are due to hatch next Tuesday. I can't wait!

After doing some reading, I ordered a high protein (25%) turkey starter. I plan to feed them this for the first 8 weeks. I have also heard that I can keep them outside during the day to range and bring them in at night until they get their first feathers.

I would be happy to take any advice on raising chickens - particularly Buckeyes - if anybody is willing to give any.

I would like to eventually end up with 10 to 20 laying hens. After about a year of successfully doing this organically, I would like to raise some for meat too.

Generally, when first hatched, baby chicks need to be kept at 95 degrees and decrease the temperature by 5 degrees per week.
You should not plan to put them outside for a while yet.
You should be ok with the turkey starter.
There is a lot of information freely available, including tons of info. right here on BYC. Please read and study the Learning Center https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

People are great about helping out, but you should take advantage of the good information already here.
Good luck with your flock.

Good luck

Once you get them - the questions you have will be more specific - and I know most people on this forum love to answer questions.

So please let us know when they arrive and post pictures !!!

Hey all,

I recently had an experience to share and would like to get feedback on. I had a buckeye hen go broody for me. Now she has chicks and is getting out more, I noticed that the yellow color in her legs is back. This struck me as I noticed the yellow color in the other buckeyes' legs has faded. They had bright yellow color when they were young last summer and now, the brightness has faded. I asked myself and now you, what allowed the color to regenerate?

But, the question of the day is, what causes the fading to begin with? And what can I do, if possible, to help my birds get their bright yellow legs back and then prevent it in the future?

Your comments please?

Thank you

Hey all,

I recently had an experience to share and would like to get feedback on. I had a buckeye hen go broody for me. Now she has chicks and is getting out more, I noticed that the yellow color in her legs is back. This struck me as I noticed the yellow color in the other buckeyes' legs has faded. They had bright yellow color when they were young last summer and now, the brightness has faded. I asked myself and now you, what allowed the color to regenerate?

But, the question of the day is, what causes the fading to begin with? And what can I do, if possible, to help my birds get their bright yellow legs back and then prevent it in the future?

Your comments please?

Thank you

I'm no expert but I thought I read that the color can fade when they are laying, and gets bright again if they stop (like when broody or raising chicks.

As a hen or pullet stops laying for moult or for the cold/short day season, you will notice fading of the legs and of the comb and wattles. Once they get back to laying, those colors come more intensely again. The same with older hens as their productive days become fewer. You can also see this happen if a bird is sick, regardless of it being a male or female, so that is something to consider if your vigorous and healthy bird starts acting 'off' and you see this type of fading of color. But also look at other factors in the situation. When a hen is broody, she stops laying, so that I am sure is the link you are seeing, Bryan.
I always say, if you notice something out of the ordinary happening with your birds, start looking for clues, it is like putting a puzzle together, and their are pieces around that will lead you to the solution.

Is leg color a dominant gene ? any one know how to focus on leg color to reduce the yellow?

(NO - I'm not showing or selling - this is a personal preference)

Look at your females when they are younger when most have their best color, about 6-8 months, and use the color you want, if that is your preference. However, for Buckeyes a nice, bright yellow is the desired color.

All color in birds is the result of genetics, aside from fading during the times mentioned. However, there can be some color influences through feed. More corn can make more yellow come out, but it will also reduce the protein level they are consuming since corn itself is higher carb, lower protein.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom