The Buckeye Thread

I agree, sure looks like a little cockerel. As chicks they tend to be bolder too and more interested when you go to the brooder as to what is going on and what is that thing putting the food in here.

You would think I bred back some Cochin into that batch you got, Bryan! LOL! Mine rarely go broody here, and when they do, a couple days of pulling them off the nest and they are back to running with the rest of the crowd. I think it is the TLC you give them. ;)
I am shutting down here for hatching. If I do any more, it will be Cornish and a few Silkies. This AI stuff has shut me down a little earlier since I am not able to ship chicks now. It has been a crazy year here, and now battling a weasel that doesn't seem to be attracted to my traps. If nothing is them tonight, I may use some live bait to lure them in, but we will see what tomorrow morning looks like.

I really don't know what I'm doing that makes them do this although I have a suspicion that it's more of a monkey-see monkey-do thing. However I have noticed some clucking like broodies for a couple months now. I guess the clutch of fake eggs was the trigger. I hope you get that weasel before it does much damage.

Our Buckeye are hatching! Day 21 starts at noon today already 4 out, and 3 pipping one started to zip looks like 7 of the remaining 8 are in good shape when we candled pre lock down.Good to have buckeye again. Soon as our quail hatch we're going to get some shumaker buckeye to eventually cross with these ........ hatching is definitely addictive

Our Buckeye are hatching! Day 21 starts at noon today already 4 out, and 3 pipping one started to zip looks like 7 of the remaining 8 are in good shape when we candled pre lock down.Good to have buckeye again. Soon as our quail hatch we're going to get some shumaker buckeye to eventually cross with these ........ hatching is definitely addictive

Awesome!
1f603.png
Yes, so addictive! Any updates on your hatch?

I'm only on day 9 with 25 buckeye eggs & just realized the motor on my egg turning cradle is broken. Oh well, I'm sure they're ok - just have to turn the unit myself.

Hi all, I have done a lot of research on various breeds and have decided that the Buckeye is the one for me! I am wondering if there is anyone close to Massachusetts that has chicks they would like to sell. I'm not sure if something like that is allowed on forums, please let me know if it's not. Thank you!
1f425.png
1f425.png

Hi all, I have done a lot of research on various breeds and have decided that the Buckeye is the one for me! I am wondering if there is anyone close to Massachusetts that has chicks they would like to sell. I'm not sure if something like that is allowed on forums, please let me know if it's not. Thank you!
1f425.png
1f425.png

Here is the breeders link:

http://www.americanbuckeyeclub.blogspot.com/p/breeders-directory.html

Mr Rhodes is in Mass. you should have no problem getting some good buckeyes from him. Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there are ever white/lighter colored sports that show up in the Buckeye breed. I got a chick from a feed store that gets chicks from Meyer hatchery. All that was supposed to be in the bin were Buckeyes and EEs. It has no beard, so the lady in the store thought it must just be a lighter variation of Buckeye, but I thought it must be a beardless EE. It is a lot paler of yellow and rust color than the other Buckeye chicks, and it had no orange strip on its head like they did.

Its wing feathers are coming in white, so I really don't think it can be a Buckeye, unless sports are known to pop up once in a while. Have not been able to find any evidence, though, when searching for miscolored Buckeyes. Ha ha, for laughs, you should try googling Buckeye white sport chicks!

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there are ever white/lighter colored sports that show up in the Buckeye breed. I got a chick from a feed store that gets chicks from Meyer hatchery. All that was supposed to be in the bin were Buckeyes and EEs. It has no beard, so the lady in the store thought it must just be a lighter variation of Buckeye, but I thought it must be a beardless EE. It is a lot paler of yellow and rust color than the other Buckeye chicks, and it had no orange strip on its head like they did.

Its wing feathers are coming in white, so I really don't think it can be a Buckeye, unless sports are known to pop up once in a while. Have not been able to find any evidence, though, when searching for miscolored Buckeyes. Ha ha, for laughs, you should try googling Buckeye white sport chicks!

caf.gif
This one has aroused my interest...

Back
Top Bottom