The Buckeye Thread

Quote: Cornish is a recent mix. The traits you describe are asil traits. There were many more asil and asil influenced games in the country at that time than Cornish. Asil were mentioned as far back as 1822 in the US, Cornish weren't even a breed in England at that time.

But true, I believe many of the breeds we see today are nothing more than recreations of breeds, and many of the so called breeds were themselves barely stabilized crosses.
Quote: They seem to lack an innate fear of humans, I have young birds that were hatched on free range and taught to roost in trees by their mom that will hop up on your lap for food, or come up to be petted. I have some that I take for rides perched on the dash. They are just like feathered dogs, some more like cats though. Don't mind being alone at all. Just don't mess with young chicks around certain moms, and don't try to put two adult roosters in the same pen. There are limits to their friendliness.

Just don't mess with young chicks around certain moms, and don't try to put two adult roosters in the same pen. There are limits to their friendliness.
I had heard that part! Same with Cornish, I think in that case. I know the Cornish hens are aggressive toward each other, and you can't put two males together after being apart or they will kill each other, which isn't hard when they have heart attacks when over-stressed.

Stryker please post some pics!
pop.gif
Ok, this is the best pic I could get. She wants nothing to do with me right now so it is the best so far. Her sister is to the left of her and I wish I took a pick of her as well.

This below is my hatchery buckeyes. I swear that I did not throw bleach on them. They are way more personable because I spent more time with them than the others,

Some people theorize that the "malayoid" fowl had a different ancestor than the "bankivoid" fowl. Malay, Shamo, Thai, Asil, Ga Noi all have a very similar appearance. They also have some other traits in common, marrow filled bones, less flight response/no fear of humans, and the different skull structure. Recent DNA research seems to dismiss this theory, but they are basing that on what they consider "wild" red jungle fowl which may have crossed many times with imported domestics and returned to their wild state in their homelands. The naked neck would share some of this ancestry going back to the Madagascar Game which may have come from Reunion Island and may be related to the Ga Noi thanks to a Vietnamese prince forced into exile there.

@striker ...I don't see a thing wrong with the comb on your Buckeye/Rhodebar, especially since it's an F-1. If you haven't totally lost interest, you could fix just about any kind of comb you like over a few generations. The comb would be the least/last consideration if I were at the same 'project'. I will be very happy if my first NN/Chantecler chicks have combs that look that good.

Last edited:
Thank you hellbender. That roo was mighty good tasting. I have not lost interest, but I am a little discouraged with having all 18 buckeye chicks that hatched this year being roosters. I was counting on 1 pullet but maybe next year. By the way, that rabbit is just not right! LMBO

Thank you hellbender. That roo was mighty good tasting. I have not lost interest, but I am a little discouraged with having all 18 buckeye chicks that hatched this year being roosters. I was counting on 1 pullet but maybe next year. By the way, that rabbit is just not right! LMBO
thumbsup.gif
I've tried changing my avatar but my friends give me hell and say the Demented Rabbit perfectly suits me and the PMs and posts pile up about the subject so quickly, it's easier to keep it!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom