The Buckeye Thread

I have a question about Buckeyes that nobody's answered yet so hopefully someone here will know. I'm trying to figure out how Buckeyes get that slate bar. My rooster has  nice slate bars on his neck feathers but for the most part only spotty slate or none on his back. What's with that? :/   Is it possible there is RIR in his breeding? Or is not having enough slate not an indication of cross breeding in the past?
My understanding is that a bird based on pure wheaten eWh has light feather fluff, but a bird based on eb has dark slate. But Buckeye chicks don't look like eb, and someone said briefly that recessive wheaten does have dark fluff. I haven't been able to find out much about recessive wheaten.
Does anybody know what the correct e series gene is for Buckeyes? Does anyone know what the complete (known genome) is for Buckeyes? The Marans people seem to have a very good handle on the genes of their birds and I'm thinking that's a handy thing to know.

Basically, the Buckeye falls under the "Wheaton" (eWh) color pattern (also known as the "e-locus" or "e-allele") and is in the family known as "Black Tailed Red's".....similar to the New Hampshire and Rhode Island Red's.

What separates the Buckeye from the other two is something often referred to as "recessive black" (or rb/rb) which works to darken the Red color in the breed. The basic color genetic for the Buckeye is listed below;

eWh/eWh
s+/s+
Ap/Ap
Mh/Mh
Db/Db
rb/rb

Poultry genetics author and expert Brian Reeder called these Red's "Dark Ginger Red Wheaten". I prefer "Melanized Dark Mahogany Ginger Red Wheaton" for the Buckeye but that's just me!

In research that I have done, I have found that the terms "aseel", "pheasant malay", and "Indian Game" were used pretty much interchangeably in the late 1800s. They could be referring to anything from a pure Aseel imported from the orient, to any cross thereof, which would include what would become known as the Cornish.

The unmentionable pastime involving chickens drove a thriving sea trade. The well heeled Englishmen clung to intricate weight classes, rules and pageantry. The Dutchmen, renowned sailors, fell by the wayside at such events, the language barrier causing them to compete last, after much imbibing. Language barriers and time spent with rum further complicated the weighing in process, the Dutchmen just marched in and shook whatever they had in their bags out in the floor. Size was advantageous, and a quest for ever larger "shakebag" birds fueled the import of breeds like the Asil and what would become known as the Malay.

I have found much of the same thing. This is how the RIR also came to be....but there is no record of the actually breed tha was used. Based on early pics I've come across, I'd have to say Malay was used. The RIRs are a horrific mongral breed of no real origin.

Last edited:
Basically, the Buckeye falls under the "Wheaton" (eWh) color pattern (also known as the "e-locus" or "e-allele") and is in the family known as "Black Tailed Red's".....similar to the New Hampshire and Rhode Island Red's.

What separates the Buckeye from the other two is something often referred to as "recessive black" (or rb/rb) which works to darken the Red color in the breed. The basic color genetic for the Buckeye is listed below;

eWh/eWh
s+/s+
Ap/Ap
Mh/Mh
Db/Db
rb/rb

Poultry genetics author and expert Brian Reeder called these Red's "Dark Ginger Red Wheaten". I prefer "Melanized Dark Mahogany Ginger Red Wheaton" for the Buckeye but that's just me!

Thanks. That's interesting, that's exactly what I have for the RIR- but no slate bar on those. I wonder what it is that makes the RIR darker red, but no slate, but the Buckeyes lighter, with slate? I don't have Ml listed for the RIR genome, or Co - any chance either of those are in Buckeyes? Is there some unknown modifier at work?

I'm actually publishing a book on the buckeyes and ALL of the breeds used to create it. It will capture the history of each breed as well as the Historical linage, including photos. I've spent countless hours researching and cross referencing Poultry breeds and how they all fit together.
I'm looking very, very forward to this book. When's the launch date? Is it going to be a regular or an e book?

I have found much of the same thing. This is how the RIR also came to be....but there is no record of the actually breed tha was used. Based on early pics I've come across, I'd have to say Malay was used. The RIRs are a horrific mongral breed of no real origin.

From what I have read on the subject, "Malay" has had a history of being a fairly loose term itself. The Malays that we have now are most certainly a European creation. During the poultry craze in England, when people would crowd the docks looking for exotic fowl from arriving ships, I'm sure that the sailors would tell people whatever they wanted to hear, in terms of the birds origin.

What has drawn me to being interested in the buckeyes is some of the similarities they share with asil, the laid back friendly attitude, the dinosaur-like consumption of snakes and rodents, and their overall look. Since you have both breeds, I'm sure you can appreciate the similarities first hand.

Won Champion American today with a Buckeye Cock at the Southern Ohio Poultry Association meet in Marietta, Oh. There were 26 birds in the class. A great way to start off the year....

I advanced to Reserve Champion LF to finish the day.

Fantastic! Pics please!
pop.gif

Won Champion American today with a Buckeye Cock at the Southern Ohio Poultry Association meet in Marietta, Oh. There were 26 birds in the class. A great way to start off the year....

I advanced to Reserve Champion LF to finish the day.

Great job. Pics please!

Back
Top Bottom