The Buckeye Thread

Okay, I know nothing about Buckeye chickens, but I bought some TSC's mystery meat(chick) birds. I bought some and then started to research them via their markings and what suppliers "say" they hatch. One of them identified they did do Buckeye chicks. So, I have to ask if I am right or wrong. Attached are pictures @ 2 weeks old. I am sure that they are all pullets, but not sure there either.

I can't see the combs in the photos, if you can see tiny little points, they probably aren't Buckeyes. If they were mine and they had single combs (the points should be easily visible by now) I'd guess New Hampshire or production Rhode Island red. Or, something else! Can you get a close up of the combs?

I can't see the combs in the photos, if you can see tiny little points, they probably aren't Buckeyes. If they were mine and they had single combs (the points should be easily visible by now) I'd guess New Hampshire or production Rhode Island red. Or, something else! Can you get a close up of the combs?

Just what I was thinking. They are even too yellow for New Hampshires, but there is quite a bit of buff in those wings coming in. I haven't even seen any hatchery Buckeyes that are that off-colored. Feed stores and TSC don't always have their chicks sorted right either, even though they try to keep customers out of handling them, it still happens and the people working those places don't always know what is going on.

Okay, nope, the aren't buckeyes. I have points on the combs. And this officially sucks, because I don't have a clue now. Where I thought I limited to pullets only, I am sure that I have a roo or two coming in. This is the last time I buy TSC mystery birds.

Okay, I know nothing about Buckeye chickens, but I bought some TSC's mystery meat(chick) birds. I bought some and then started to research them via their markings and what suppliers "say" they hatch. One of them identified they did do Buckeye chicks. So, I have to ask if I am right or wrong. Attached are pictures @ 2 weeks old. I am sure that they are all pullets, but not sure there either.
ISA Browns!

Okay, nope, the aren't buckeyes. I have points on the combs. And this officially sucks, because I don't have a clue now. Where I thought I limited to pullets only, I am sure that I have a roo or two coming in. This is the last time I buy TSC mystery birds.

LOL it will be fun trying to figure out what they are! Well if they are ISA browns you won't have an egg shortage, and they are likely hens if they are reddish like that.
And, you can always get some really, really good Buckeyes from some of the excellent breeders here- and you won't have to guess what breed they are ~!
big_smile.png

I don't think they are ISA's; no golden chipmunk markings. But, if they are, then like you said, I will have some good egg production. Although, I do have black sex links and they are beasts when it comes to egg production. With my luck and chickens, likely they will be lack-luster birds.

Back
Top Bottom