The Buckeye Thread

I've got a better idea now from them. Thank you. Apparently mine arent better quality. Thats fine. As the years go on with this latest hobby, who knows. Perhaps I'll find myself spending more to get better stock. It doesnt really matter tho. I have enough to keep me busy and I'm enjoying the girls that I have. It brings me back to the days when I was a kid and had the horses.

Thanks Minnie
Heres a couple snaps of the too of them from yesterday. Its only of their feathers. I think I may have roos, in fact. At least one of them.

Chick 1

Chick 2

It looks like they are within the range of normal chick color. It is best if they don't show much if any kind of lacing but those feathers will molt out and should see red coming in next. I would expect she is going to have a lighter shade of red than we want for Buckeyes, but if she is for utility, that doesn't make a huge difference. If you were looking to breed or show, then you want to shoot for darker birds.

To be fair those chicks pictured are from a top breeder and very good quality. What I want you to do is look at the feathers, the colour, the patterns.. See how they change week-by-week as they grow? Look at post post #4087. Now look at the difference between that pic and the older chicks. They change a LOT as they grow up!

Your chicks are young still and have some way to go and grow before you will be able to tell finally where they really stand quality-wise. The most important thing is that they suit your needs for them. If you just want some chickens around for eggs and company, they are awesome birds to have around, the Buckeyes. Good egg layers, great temperaments, good table birds if you're willing to process your own… I've not heard a bad thing said about the breed overall. If you're looking at showing them at some point, let the little ones grow up, post some pics so we can see what you've got and advice you from there.

Last edited:
As they get older, sometimes the cockerels' combs will be redder and a bit bigger than the pullet's which seem to stay yellowish longer than the cockerels. And, the cokerels will start to grow pointy hackle and saddle feathers. I found that the saddle feathers under the wings came in first, it took longer for hackle feathers to grow in. The cockerels' saddle feathers are definitely pointed, the pullets are round. It helps to have at least one of each sex to compare, otherwise it can be a bit tougher to tell.

I am excited to say I am a proud owner of two trios of Buckeyes from Minnie! I had a great time visiting with u Minnie and hope to be able to do alot more of it! U have beautiful birds and they produce beautiful offspring!

I am excited to say I am a proud owner of two trios of Buckeyes from Minnie! I had a great time visiting with u Minnie and hope to be able to do alot more of it! U have beautiful birds and they produce beautiful offspring!
thumbsup.gif
Enjoy them!

I just saw your reply. Thanks. Mine must be Cornish cross then. That describes them perfectly
Last year I got 7 Buckeye chicks from a breeder here in Eastern Canada. They were absolutely not wheaton type (eWh) chicks, but totally wild type (e+) chipmunk chicks, with partridgey heads on a few. I really like the oldest male--he is beautiful, dark, large, and not nasty. To me, they are similar to my old Araucanas is size, shape, demeanor-- somewhat "Cornish" in type. The Araucanas are the oldest living birds I have, with 4-5 close to 10 years old, my oldest hen has quite long spurs, but still lays and goes broody.

I'd love if the Buckeyes did so well!

5 of 7 were female. (Because I bought them totally to use as a meat bird, lol!) Of them--I lost one to a fox while broody on her first clutch. One male I called a "dummy" for lack of a better word--really, really stupid, very slow feathering, and culled him. One pullet who lays huge eggs--is completely Cornish in type, with lacing, and also "Dumb". As in--can't find her way back to the barn--but she's meaty. I keep her in my laying flock, as she lays well.
Another one lacking the lacing--but the same Cornish like face, died this winter. So of the original 6, I had 4 left, would not breed the laced hen because she's not right. I did get another young pullet and cockerel--with the hopes of using these as dual purpose, the hens do lay well, but a second hen has gone broody twice since coming into lay in the fall.

The oldest male I think is wonderful. Would he show well? Not sure, but I like everything about him, and he's a good weight. He's worth keeping at least for my laying hens.

Now--it's early spring in Nova Scotia--so it's been cold, wet, snowy and the birds have been confined in the barn most of the winter--this fellow comes out looking like he's been dipped in polish, he's so shiny. These pictures are actually a little deceiving.
I'd love if he had a nice tight comb and wattles, but he doesn't. Can I work with him as the sole male? No idea--I hope to add to this group if it's worthwhile, and I think I can work with them. The second male is younger, I did not see his down colour at hatch, and to me he's too light. He is not pictured here, this is all the same guy. I'm concerned about the chick's down colour though, because that was wrong from the get-go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom