The Buckeye Thread

Blueface, how many years have you been breeding Buckeyes?

Our first Buckeye darkened my doorstop in the fall of 2009 and 2010 was my first breeding season. I started with a single pair.

What you see is only about a 1/4 of what I'm raising this year...my website shows the yearly improvements through exhibition results. I anticipate this year trumping all others...the quality of those birds pictured, as well as the rest of them are very nice!

Last edited:
What makes them so amazing? They are really young still have a long way to go before they can tell you what they will eventually turn into.

Their personality's and the siz difference compared to them and hatchery birds I have had at that age.

Blueface, what's the youngest age ( of chick/cockerel/pullet)  you've been able to select exceptional Buckeye individuals?

From day one I've can notice favorable traits....as they grow I never single out birds. I usually always look for flaws and cull as necessary. I try to find flaws to eliminate them. I think the breed goes through real awkward stage from 8-14 weeks of age when they start shedding feathers and growing more mature plumage. I can usually start picking decent birds out around 5-6 months...until then, I see things I like but never single out at this point.
But with that being said, if you have good stock to begin with and know more or less what will be produced from them....you are really only trying to tweak the details rather than establish type or other required traits such as color, undercolor, ect.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom