The Buckeye Thread

A couple of crosses en route to my project birds, a pea combed white eggshell dual purpose layer. The mix will include Buckeye (looks, temperament, pea comb; Barred Holland (white eggshells) and Dark cornish (foraging smarts, harder feathers, meaty, to balance the Holland) ; and production red, a Canadian hybrid, which has RIR, Rhode Island white, and New Hampshire in the breeding, and produces lots of huge eggs, for the egg laying ability: Here's the first cross, Buckeye x dark cornish chick

Buckeye x dark Cornish: six weeks cockerel

And Buckeye x production red pullet, six weeks:

Interesting how the Buckeye stamped his type on the chicks.
The pure Buckeyes are behind the crosses in growth, they look small, and most are too light red, although the darkest one has too much black at six weeks- but we'll see how they turn out. Buckeyes certainly do make a nice cross though, I'm happy to see that pea comb everywhere!
It does seem to be true though, you have to breed your Buckeyes to see how their chicks are, and if they are worth breeding further. I'm hoping that at least a few chicks will be better than their parents.

A couple of crosses en route to my project birds, a pea combed white eggshell dual purpose layer. The mix will include Buckeye (looks, temperament, pea comb; Barred Holland (white eggshells) and Dark cornish (foraging smarts, harder feathers, meaty, to balance the Holland) ; and production red, a Canadian hybrid, which has RIR, Rhode Island white, and New Hampshire in the breeding, and produces lots of huge eggs, for the egg laying ability: Here's the first cross, Buckeye x dark cornish chick Buckeye x dark Cornish: six weeks cockerel And Buckeye x production red pullet, six weeks: Interesting how the Buckeye stamped his type on the chicks. The pure Buckeyes are behind the crosses in growth, they look small, and most are too light red, although the darkest one has too much black at six weeks- but we'll see how they turn out. Buckeyes certainly do make a nice cross though, I'm happy to see that pea comb everywhere! It does seem to be true though, you have to breed your Buckeyes to see how their chicks are, and if they are worth breeding further. I'm hoping that at least a few chicks will be better than their parents.
Ooo, those are some nice birds. :thumbsup Love the Buckeye x Cornish cross!

At this point in our breeding program, I personally couldn't care less but I do wonder what Nettie would think about crossing her Buckeyes every which way? With whatever bird or mix of birds and for whatever reason?

I seems that things have changed so dramatically from the time a couple years ago when I first showed interest in the Buckeye breed and wanted nothing but the best pure stock I could find. Something surely has changed.

Breeding them according to Hoyle or to the APA standard seems to have gone queer.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that Nettie would be flattered that her Buckeyes are being used to improve barnyard crosses :)
There's exceptional Buckeyes out there being bred pure that I think you would still be pleased with
thumbsup.gif

Who is Hoyle? I haven't come across that before.

I'm guessing "Hoyle" is a reference to the Book of Hoyle for card playing individuals; has rules to many, many card games. so there being a reference to rules of Chicken breeding. Just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom