The Buckeye Thread

Been awhile since there has been any posting on here! Everybody must be busy getting ready for winter lol!

Any ways I just thought I would say that we did good with our Buckeyes at State. Got a blue ribbon with my breeding pen which is awesome! There was another pen of Buckeyes next to me and they got blues too. A lot of beautiful birds there!

I just set a new Buckeye flock up for someone today. She took 3 one-year old hens and 3 pullets and 1 cockerel home to start her own backyard breeding with. She is only planning a utility flock, but I am sure she will be pleased with them all as most everyone who takes this breed in does!

Been awhile since there has been any posting on here! Everybody must be busy getting ready for winter lol!

Any ways I just thought I would say that we did good with our Buckeyes at State. Got a blue ribbon with my breeding pen which is awesome! There was another pen of Buckeyes next to me and they got blues too. A lot of beautiful birds there!

holm25 you are doing great with your Buckeyes! Congratulations!
thumbsup.gif

I hatched some decent pullet chicks this year, but at 16 weeks I seem to have no worthy cockerels. So I'm putting the Buckeye breeding on the back burner for now, and continue with my pea combed white- eggshell breed project. All my birds are half or all Buckeye except for the Buff rocks and Barred Hollands.
One thing that was very interesting, a Buckeye/ Production red cross was a very good "nick". I got some fabulous fast growing meaty cockerels and very nice looking pullets from that cross, and of course the same for the Buckeye/Cornish cross. It will be interesting to see how well the Buckeye/production reds lay, I'm expecting quite good.

I got 6 buckeye chicks this season that are now 17 weeks old. These are from breeder stock.

3 of the 6 are cockerels and I will be processing 2 of them (unless someone wants one for their flock which likely won't happen).

Can someone comment on what age is best for processing the boys?

I got 6 buckeye chicks this season that are now 17 weeks old. These are from breeder stock.

3 of the 6 are cockerels and I will be processing 2 of them (unless someone wants one for their flock which likely won't happen).

Can someone comment on what age is best for processing the boys?

How long grow them for processing may vary a little depending on the line you have them from, but around 24-weeks is what many do. I had 12 of them I had processed right at 6 months and they dressed out between 4.75 - 5 pounds each with lots of dark meat! I can them at that age though. They still have a decent amount of breast too, but the dark meat is my favorite.

Thanks CB!

I really like the females I got. I have a few things to work on but nothing major. I do need to find a different male but I still have a few months before I need one.

Back
Top Bottom