The Buckeye Thread

deleted as it appeared twice. BYC and Windows 10 hate each other!

And I hate windows 10.
barnie.gif

I don't mean they aren't flashy--I absolutely ADORE my rooster--he looks like he's been polished--his sheen is phenomenal. He's gorgeous, except for that frigging white in his sickle. I'm not going to get rid of them--I couldn't. But I don't have the best stock, and all I've had with them was trouble--broody hens and an aggressive male who tries to kill everything that isn't superior to him in the flock. He reminds me a great deal of a Cornish in attitude and looks--in fact one of the wives even had lacing.
CanadianBuckeye and I got our birds from the same breeder, and they have problems with type and color, and cushion and size...she's no longer breeding them.

Just putting in a good word for the Cornish, my dark Cornish are sweethearts and my Buckeye/Cornish cross are spectactular. The roosters are well behaved, so far! In fact, except for the slightly pinched tails and lacing, my Buckeye/Cornish cross hens look pretty good when compared to the Buckeye standard! And, no cushions.......
lol.png

I've been discovering that the line is just as important as the breed when it comes to temperament. I remove any aggressive individuals- no mercy. Last thing I want is to only be able to admire my birds from a distance!
I double checked my Standard, I think that the entire feather has to be entirely white and visible to be a disqualification- although I'm sure it would be better if he didn't have any white at all, your rooster still might be worth breeding if he has other good qualities?
I think it's an unfortunate cross that got into that line of Buckeyes. In Alberta, there's a serious Buckeye Breeder who actually ended up with an excellent male from that very same source!
It's unfortunate that the original line isn't being bred, now there are even fewer dedicated Buckeye breeders in Canada than before.

I've done some thinking, once my cockerel reaches 6 months I'll post some pics along with some of the pullets, and hopefully get some opinions on their quality- one thing for absolute certainty, I can't un- cull so better safe than sorry.

My neighbor and I are splitting a chick order. Among the girls are 6 assorted rare - I think one is a Buckeye. My daughter took an instant shine to this one, even over the Buff Orpingtons.

She *is* very sweet.

I don't mean they aren't flashy--I absolutely ADORE my rooster--he looks like he's been polished--his sheen is phenomenal. He's gorgeous, except for that frigging white in his sickle. I'm not going to get rid of them--I couldn't. But I don't have the best stock, and all I've had with them was trouble--broody hens and an aggressive male who tries to kill everything that isn't superior to him in the flock. He reminds me a great deal of a Cornish in attitude and looks--in fact one of the wives even had lacing.
CanadianBuckeye and I got our birds from the same breeder, and they have problems with type and color, and cushion and size...she's no longer breeding them.

Sometime you have to go bold. My brother was 'bold' (stupid) enough to bring a bunch of well bred (understatement) Chanteclers across the border and I managed to get 20 of them sans frais. There must be a way to get some good Bucks into Canada, even keeping within the law or perhaps just skirting it a little bit. Just kidding???
lau.gif

Interesting to me is the talk about aggressive roosters, poor temperament, etc.

This is my first season with Buckeye chicks. They are 20 weeks (I think, give or take a week...too lazy to look at the calendar
tongue.png
). These birds are so gentle and laid back. The cockerels aren't even crowing - though they can. They're just keeping quite.

I kept one of the boys with the three pullets and 2 of them are separated in another house and run to get large enough for processing. All of them - even the two separated boys - have the nicest personalities!

Of course, they are still "kids" as far as maturity level for a few more weeks so I have to wait to see how the temperament works out.

I did have a Buckeye breeder tell me once that there are several lines and one of them is "mean as snakes". This person recommended the source we got them from so hopefully I've avoided that line :D
fl.gif

Some pics on how the birds are developing. They aren't stance dwell due to the slippery surface though. But I am sure I will get lots of pics to share this weekend!

CB I wish I could help you but I am currently learning from your questions and everybody's replies!

I love the line of Bucks I got! The males are so calm and have never been aggressive to anybody! One did like biting me for awhile but he was still young. I personally favor my Buckeye cockerels over the pullets lol. They are more calm than the females and like to be handled more for some reason. Maybe it's just me lol
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom