The Buckeye Thread

@CanadianBuckeye Holm got his birds from me. They tend to be right on SOP weights for the first year, then continue to grow after. The older hens I have have gotten up over 8 pounds, but most right around the 7-7.5 range. Males have gotten up around 8-9. Of course, feed and living conditions will influence that. I was looking over the boys last night to put one in with the hens and even with the nasty weather and cold that has take visible wear on some of the birds, those boys all feel and look good and healthy and feel good too.

I originated from Urch, but I have been breeding those for 7 years. I did get a pair from Shumaker that were out of a hen I bred and one of his cocks in 2014 and had used them in the flock as well.

I think I am going to e mail everyone in the buckeye chicken clubs directory to try and find some chicks for this coming spring. I have my mind set on this breed and don't want to change

Has anyone here bought buckeye's from a hatchery before?
I have and found they suck compared to breeders buckeyes. Not all breeders have good stock either but there are lots that are on this form who do have far better to AWESOME stock than the thin skinny buckeyes from the hatchery that I got them from. My recommendation is to spend the extra money to get them from a breeder as we both know it take the same amount of money to feed and raise a so called buckeye or a regular quality buckeye.

Not all hatchery's have pathetic buckeyes. Just a majority of them do.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom