The Buckeye Thread

By about 8 months you can see what they have got going on for sure.

I had an odd experience this year with my oldest pullets, all the ones hatched in February and early March molted in late fall. Some of the New Hampshires that did this still look a little rough.

With your Ameraucana, if she had a beard and muff earlier on, she should get it back as those feathers molting out and come back too. They could get pecked at, which is a stinker if you get other birds who are prone to doing that. I have never seen them start out with a good beard and muffs then lose them with age.

ok great thanks for the info.

Hi, I am fairly new to chickens. I have been doing quite a bit of "research" (haha) on the internet, and am VERY interested in Buckeyes, particularly the Lay, or Crains Run Ranch strain. However, Buckeyes are not common in my region and I am having a hard time locating any for sale. I have read mixed reviews on their laying, anywhere from only 3/week to almost everyday. I am not overly concerned about the strain, I just want a good quality, good laying bird. Does anybody have any suggestions? How good of layers are the other strains? Does anybody have Shumaker birds?

I appreciate any help you can give me, thank you.

Hi, I am fairly new to chickens.  I have been doing quite a bit of "research" (haha) on the internet, and am VERY interested in Buckeyes, particularly the Lay, or Crains Run Ranch strain.   However, Buckeyes are not common in my region and I am having a hard time locating any for sale.  I have read mixed reviews on their laying, anywhere from only 3/week to almost everyday.  I am not overly concerned about the strain, I just want a good quality, good laying bird.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  How good of layers are the other strains?  Does anybody have Shumaker birds?

Hi! Different breeders breed for different characteristics so some might not worry on how many eggs their birds lay and others might find it necessary to have birds that lay a lot. All of mine lay different amounts. Some lay every other day some lay almost everyday. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Last edited:
Hi, I am fairly new to chickens. I have been doing quite a bit of "research" (haha) on the internet, and am VERY interested in Buckeyes, particularly the Lay, or Crains Run Ranch strain. However, Buckeyes are not common in my region and I am having a hard time locating any for sale. I have read mixed reviews on their laying, anywhere from only 3/week to almost everyday. I am not overly concerned about the strain, I just want a good quality, good laying bird. Does anybody have any suggestions? How good of layers are the other strains? Does anybody have Shumaker birds?

You will find a variation on how well any breed lays depending on what the breeder has been concentrating on with their line.
I find my Buckeyes to be adequate layers, but a dual purpose breed should lay adequately and be a decent table bird. I definitely get that.
I am not hatching this year to sell, however I plan to make hatching eggs available.

I would agree, if you want to find Buckeyes that lay well, look for a strain that has been selected to lay lots of eggs that have a good shape. My first buckeyes were fairly poor layers and the eggs they laid were very long, and did not fit well in egg cartons.

Hi! Different breeders breed for different characteristics so some might not worry on how many eggs their birds lay and others might find it necessary to have birds that lay a lot. All of mine lay different amounts. Some lay every other day some lay almost everyday. I have seen the Crains Run Ranch birds and they are pretty but all the pics his roosters have low tails and really high combs but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Thank you holm25. That is interesting. I appreciate your comments. I just assumed that the Crains birds would have good confirmation because it seems he is active in the American Buckeye Club? (Assuming always gets me in trouble haha). Thank you!

You will find a variation on how well any breed lays depending on what the breeder has been concentrating on with their line.
I find my Buckeyes to be adequate layers, but a dual purpose breed should lay adequately and be a decent table bird. I definitely get that.
I am not hatching this year to sell, however I plan to make hatching eggs available.

Thank you for responding! Yes! I don't know enough about chickens, but from everything I have read off of you all's posts, Buckeyes seem to be just a really great all around bird. Good foragers, good layers, good table birds, good temperament, and I am very excited about that. I am just unsure on where and how to proceed to get decent ones. I am not sure why, but I am leery of hatchery birds.

I would be VERY interested in your hatching eggs. How soon would they be available? Mid Spring maybe? What would you charge, and all that good stuff
big_smile.png
?

I really appreciate your reply.

Thank you holm25.  That is interesting.  I appreciate your comments.  I just assumed that the Crains birds would have good confirmation because it seems he is active in the American Buckeye Club?  (Assuming always gets me in trouble haha).  Thank you!

No problem! Hopefully you find a breeder and can get started with Bucks! They really are amazing birds! It didn't take me long to fall in love with mine :love

I would agree, if you want to find Buckeyes that lay well, look for a strain that has been selected to lay lots of eggs that have a good shape. My first buckeyes were fairly poor layers and the eggs they laid were very long, and did not fit well in egg cartons.
Lol - the shape of the eggs is something I wouldn't have thought about!
And this is just me being ignorant - what do you guys classify as a poor layer or a good layer? I think I would be thrilled with a chicken that would lay 3-4 eggs/week in our cold Wyoming winters. Is that realistic?

Thank you for your post!

No problem! Hopefully you find a breeder and can get started with Bucks! They really are amazing birds! It didn't take me long to fall in love with mine
love.gif

Yes I am pretty excited to get some. It they are half as good as everything I have read, they will be perfect for my family and our climate. Honestly, I can't figure out why more people don't have them and why I had never heard of them. My mom had chickens growing up, I knew, and know lots of people in our area that have chickens. But no Buckeyes.... Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom