The Buckeye Thread

I'm hoping to, if he behaves himself! I am also looking for more of either pullets or hens, but they are hard to come by in this area.
Hmmm...eastern WA isn't that far from me....
Too bad there's this thing called a border, otherwise I'd try to help you out.

I know people who know people. I may be able to help you find some if you'd like.

Hi all,
I ordered several chicks back in the spring including 2 buckeyes from Ideal Hatchery. Long story short, one of my Easter Egger turned out to be a roo. I am having serious doubts about one of my buckeyes.

This chick doesn’t have a lot of comb development compared to the confirmed roo and is pretty much the same as the laying pullets. No spurs yet either. However the tail feathers are longer and the saddle feathers are not as rounded as the females but the are also not as pointed or long as the Roos. No crowing either although the confirmed roo has been crowing for at least 7 weeks now. The chicks are 20.5 weeks old. This chicken is also the largest in body other than the roo - larger than the other pullets but not as large or tall as the roo.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 1484127

View attachment 1484128

View attachment 1484129

View attachment 1484130

So is this a Buckeye roo? Or is this chicken as confused as I am?
Thanks Medda
That is a Buckeye cockerel yes. His comb is appropriate size.

Incidentally, a female chicken is a pullet if under one year of age and a hen if over one year. A male chicken is a cockerel if under one year of age and a Cock or a Rooster if over one year of age. The reason I am pointing this out to you is that in the poultry exhibition world outside of BYC forum and the likes, language when talking about chickens can matter.

DSC07684.JPG
DSC07700.JPG

How do you think this cockerel is turning out? :)
He might turn out small though, and his eyes aren't quite the color they need to be. That could just be the camera.

Last edited:
I lost my only Buckeye just over a year ago. We really are trying to find a breeder for hatching eggs or chicks in February... any ideas on someone breeding jeff lay lines ( strain) ?

Back
Top Bottom